Thursday, October 26, 2006

Real World Faith

Claramae shared with us yesterday on this topic, and personally, it's a deeply convicting issue - faith that makes an impact outside the 4 walls of the church.

Jesus was a working man, and He lived a working life for 15 years as a carpenter.

Did you ever think about what he might have said if he hammered his thumb? Or cut his finger? (Besides "Ouch!")

What quality were his products? (I like to think that you always got the best deals with his products. Confirmed never short-change.)

Did he ever haggle over prices? How?

How would he talk with his fellow carpenters when he joined them for a drink or meal?

Because today something happened that made me think more about God's grace to me. In a nutshell, I've been struggling to keep up with the rest of my group members 'cos I have 4 term papers to settle, and I'm working with very different personalities in three different groups. Was sharing with Jits the other day about these 3 very interesting types of personalities - one's really very business-like, the other's very creative in a journalistic kind of way, and the last one's a self-described punctuality freak. Haha... God really knows that I need a LOT of pushing in this aspect. And miraculously, I find that I've been improving in this area - much thanks to Shennon who has straightforwardly pointed out to me.

One group is all guys - and all from SoC - but they are NOT nerds - they are Silicon Valley types people, another group is actively engaged in social issues and campus journalism, and the last is very into advertising and new media.

Wow... praise God! :D So exciting to be able to work with such different groups in one semester, and best of all, to LEARN from them... I really have learnt A LOT and still learning even more.

*******
So, one important experience I learnt from all this is that people, whether Christian or not, can actually be more understanding than I expect them to be. A lot of these people are actually more mature in their interpersonal intelligence than me, and have more street-savvy and wisdom due to greater exposure in life-experiences.

I think the old YA would have been very discouraged last time, when comparing himself to the non-Christians... but now I see it from a different perspective - that God is actually teaching me street-smarts and savviness and social skills through them!

Humility is really so important if you want to get ahead in life... humility in wanting to learn more - this is CRITICAL if you want to thrive, both in your walk with God and working in the world. Humility is a teachable spirit that is eager to learn and apply...

Of course, the Bible also reminds us to be wise in discerning in what we learn... think an analogy is that, formerly, when we were young as babies, we lived in a very sheltered environment and ate the cleanest and purest foods that our parents could give us... but now, as mature Christians, as young men and as spiritual parents in Christ, Jesus sends us out "like lambs among wolves" - shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves. Not the other way round.

Personally, I was reflecting on myself this week, and I think that I've been growing increasingly more wily in how I do some things, trying to gain benefits for myself. And I'm scared of that, because I fear losing my integrity and sincerity. It's so easy... in fact, I read in the news today that a top student in NUS had succumbed to temptation and set up a credit-card hacking operation... I realised that this could have happened to me too - but there, by the grace of God, go I.

Then after a project mate gave me some very good advice regarding how to collaborate better in a team, I realised that I really responded in a sweet spirit... so was very touched by God's grace, and yet asking Him, how is this possible? That I find myself growing increasingly wilier, and yet, at the same time, really have a sweet spirit with innocence in my heart?

Then the words of Christ came to mind: "I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." (Matthew 10:16)

I was very very touched at God's incredible grace to me. By right, I really deserve to be blacklisted in the group, because I am going so much slower than the rest of my teammates, and my working style in the team is very individualistic, yet my project leader actually understands my difficulties and gave me very encouraging advice. Really don't deserve this kind of gracious treatment at all... and yet I got it!

Waves of mercy, waves of grace
Everywhere I go I see Your face
Your love has captured me
Oh my God this love, how can it be?


Really want to grow in shrewdness of mind, yet also grow in sweetness of spirit. I want to grow in wisdom and stature, and yet grow in tenderness and compassion of heart... I want to grow in maturity, and yet I want to grow in childlikeness...

And I'm so amazed by God. He's the one who made the delicate flowers, and yet made the mighty mountains. He's the one who send the gentlest breeze, and yet made the roaring thunders. He's the one who made the supermassive black holes capable of destroying entire galaxies, and yet made the tiny hydrogen atoms.

*******
So then, I find that this last semester, Daddy is training me to be wiser, and to work harder... today, I read in my Bible from Proverbs 31 these verses:

"She selects wool and flax
and works with eager hands."
"She sets about her work vigorously;
her arms are strong for her tasks."
"She is clothed with strength and dignity;
she can laugh at the days to come."


Normally, when I read these verses, I keep thinking about qualities that I'd like my future wife to have. But today, God impressed on my heart that these are qualities that He'd like me to have too.

To work with eager hands, to be vigorous in my work, to have strong arms for my work, to be strong and have dignity... and to laugh at the days to come. :)

Wow... the Word of God is wise! :D And on a side-note, when I see the words "work with eager hands", I think about a particular sister whom I admire... I think she really exhibits this particular quality, and I find it very attractive too, actually. =) Hee hee...

*******
Then I was reading through some acquaintances' blogs, when I realised that they're very passionate about Silicon Valley and what not. New media included too. And another thing that struck me is how well they designed their blogs - very professional and reflects well on them.

Then this question came to mind: Just how relevant would my blog be to them if one of them visiting this blog?

I think the answer's obvious.

And who are the ones going to make an impact in future on Singapore's economy and new media? These are high-flyers and hard-hitting achievers who will really go all the way. And us? And me?

Think I can't really change so many things at once, but I think one step I can take to be a better influence and more relevant is to change my blog design and expand the scope of this blog beyond talking about spiritual things and long-winded reflections. Think what's more important here may not only the number of people who read your blog, but also, how many types of people read your blog and are interested in it.

So from today onwards, you may start seeing more types of posts popping up... (after my term papers are done)... do take the opportunity to learn more things! It's a blessing that I have a growing passion for new media and media trends - think it's something that will help me connect with an increasingly media-savvy generation and future media leaders.

What do you think? Feedback and advice always welcome! :)

No comments: