Friday, September 1, 2006

Joyce shared with me today about what a friend had asked her: "Do you have an evangelistic spirit on campus?" It struck me, 'cos it's something that I should be having in my heart - not only on campus, but walking in my daily life.

I think having an evangelistic spirit is not simply sharing something relating to spiritual matters, but at heart, simply wanting to help tell others about God's goodness and to try to convey His love to them. "Taste and see that the LORD is good..."

Two incidents today made me think about just how much - or how little - of an evangelistic spirit I have. I lack, so Lord, fill me up with Your Spirit and passion!
First incident: met a blind man, helped him, but when I had the idea of saying, "God bless you!" to him, I felt too shy to say that to him. So I didn't. So in the end, an opportunity to help people realise that I'm doing this becos of Jesus was lost.

Second incident was when I was looking at the trees and skies and praying silently during a seminar break, when a friend passed by and asked me what I was doing. I told him I'm just simply taking a look at the trees.

But perhaps I could have told him that I was praying to God silently. I think he might have understood - he's a Malay, so he mostly likely should be a Muslim.

Why am I so shy when it comes to sharing with people about God's goodness? Maybe it's the culture that I'm in - talking about God isn't exactly a social norm in this culture. So I'm still thinking about how can I show Christ's love to others in school and in the workplace... and especially how can I help them know that this is because of JESUS?

Still thinking... I don't want to lose my identity as a Christian in the workplace...

"Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men.

Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.

Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house.

Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven."

No comments: