Sunday, September 10, 2006

HopeKids - reflections

Today was a tiring day, but thank God so much, He helped support and encourage me thru another teacher who "took me under her wings", teaching and training me how to keep the kids in order and how to connect and even discipline them. She's an excellent storyteller - I really enjoy listening to her stories during Sunday School class - there's a LOT to be learnt, I realise, even from very simple 15-minutes stories - like what Ps Jeff said last Sat, His parables are understandable even by the youngest and simplest minds, while instructing even the oldest and wisest minds.

One thing that I really love about working with children is that it helps me see better how God our Father really views us. For instance, the young children during P&W are very easily distracted and sometimes do their own things, while we grown-ups look at them with disapproving eyes, and tsk-tsk, and try to turn them around (literally) to face the lyrics and do the right actions. Focusing on forms, one says? Perhaps, but it is important training that helps to physically instruct the young ones in the importance of focusing on the invisible God.

Then after that, when I went into service, I was very distracted in my own mind - and there it struck me then that we "grown-ups" are mentally doing the very things that the young children are physically doing. We may have gotten the physical form correct, but, in our hearts and minds, we are still spiritually very very very young. For the younger ones, we keep on running about in our minds, and the more mature ones, though we have disciplined ourselves to focus on God, to seek Him in our thoughts as we worship Him, occasionally, we still get distracted and start running around too.

And how does God see us? I think He sees us with eyes as only the Father of fathers can see. We are, though spiritual toddlers, still the pride and joy of His eyes, and as we, one by one, turn our eyes unto Him, His heart crinkles wider and wider with all the divine delight of fatherhood.

No comments: