Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Three To Be, Three Not to Be

3 things to be contented with

1) With whatever happens
2) With friendships and possessions
3) With our pure thoughts

3 things to be not contented with

1) With our opinions
2) With our character
3) With our spiritual condition

(From Hong Teck's blog: 3 Pair of Things I Learn From James Allen)

How often we swop the order around.

Philippians 3:12-14
"I don’t mean to say that I have already achieved these things or that I have already reached perfection. But I press on to possess that perfection for which Christ Jesus first possessed me. No, dear brothers and sisters, I have not achieved it, but I focus on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us."




In the course of my spiritual journey, I've met fellow travellers, some who are very eager to learn and hungry. And I've met fellow travellers, who refuse to consider that any other opinions may be right. And I've met fellow travellers who sway from one side to another: should I be open-minded, considering that there may be more than I know, or close-minded, considering that I may be right? To yield or to resist?

And I've met myself. I think I'm with the swayers. How I need to train myself by constant use of the Word to be able to discern good from evil for myself.

If I think I've gotten it all together already, then I am in mortal danger of falling apart.
Romans 12:3
For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you.
Three to be, three not to be. Lord, what shall I be to Thee?

No comments: