Friday, March 27, 2009

Thoughts on Biblical Unity

Thinking about the sharing on biblical unity by Eugene during last night's sub-district meeting.

He was, as is his personality, calm and concise. But I felt the burden in his voice as he spoke about how our caregroups have to grow in a greater understanding and commitment to biblical unity.

I feel deeply stirred. Can't sleep. :) Which is, I think, both a good and bad thing.

And another thing that struck me is that talk is cheap. Not to complain about the problem, but to have a holy discontent that compels and propels us on to do something about it.

To add to that - do something also means praying about it as well. Like how Nehemiah wept and poured out his heart to God his burden to see his beloved city restored. And God then opened the doors and Nehemiah rolled up his sleeves.

So as we pray, we must also do. And as we do, we must also pray.

God calls us his fellow workers. You know how cool that is? The God who can do everything and anything by himself calls us his fellow workers.

Reminds me of how President Obama rolls up his sleeves (I love that style man... it communicates no-nonsense business...) Oh ya. Obama. You know, it's real tough building and strengthening an ailing nation. And on a smaller scale, it's something like reviving and rejuvenating a stagnant / passive / apathetic caregroup. No less challenging. Both are sorta like NP-complete problems. :P

Dear God, please help us grow in true unity of the Spirit... to make every effort. I know I haven't made every effort, nor have I done my best... true, there have been discouragements and my own lack of skills and character inadequacys... but like what Hong Teck wrote, doing the right things doesn't mean that we will always do them right. But we should still strive to do the right things anyway. And one day, we'll learn to do the right things right, with God's help. Yay! :)

Help my CG become more open and vulnerable in sharing. And begin with me, to become more open and vulnerable. I think I will be misunderstood. But never mind. In Queen Esther's immortal words of courage: "If I perish [doing the right thing], then I perish!"

Help me grow in grace and acceptance. To learn as much as I can from the life examples of Jeannie and Shawn. Am very blessed by their lives and relationship - they're a couple who can bless God together. I'm starting to think of them as our Priscillia and Aquila. :) Who knows, they might one day save an apostle's life...

Help me see what true spirituality really is.

Help my CG transform. I really don't know how or what - but we can be so much more. Help me take the initiative to serve and to love - even the not-so-easy to love... because I myself am not an easy to love person.

But that's precisely the point. "Love one another as I have loved you. By this, all men will know that you are My disciples, if you love one another.

(And personally, I think it's pretty pointless to have all these fun activities if we don't commit to loving one another... but... disclaimer... that is my idealistic side. Because fun activities help to bond. So what activities can I help to initiate for the CG?)

And longing for the CG to grow in biblical understanding. Word-centredness. Testimonies to share too. Commitment to honouring the caregroup covenant that we made last year in church camp.

To take initiative to love others. I remember intending to go over to Edwin's and Dawn's place to bless them with a Christmas gift on Christmas Day. But in the end I didn't. And I missed a chance to bless them. Probably the only chance. All because of laziness + tiredness. "Anyone who knows the good he oughts to do but doesn't do it, sins."

Hee. Think you can see from the past paragraphs that I've dissatisfactions here and there. But it's ok, my CG is my mirror too - I realise how self-centred I am. But well, I shall roll up my sleeves and ask God how and where to initiate and make an impact. I shall go forth in my weakness, knowing well that I shall fail and falter. But what does it matter?

"Go in the strength you have. Am I not sending you?" said the LORD to Gideon.



*NATO. No Action Talk Only. The only time this is great stuff is when it comes to matters of war. Which figures... NATO (the organization) being the US's response to the Soviet Union's Warsaw Pact. Thank God they were NATO (the acronym)... 'cos war is something that should be NATO. ;)

No comments: