Wednesday, March 25, 2009

If You Want To Be A Man of God, You Need Holy Discontent

Psalm 69:9a
for zeal for your house consumes me...

Today in DMM, HQ shared with us about holy discontent. To quote from his blog post:
"Holy Discontent [...] is something that precedes vision and that is the key to leadership: God's heart and a human heart being aligned perfectly around what frustrates heaven and earth."
And one thing that I carried from this sharing was that if there's holy discontent, we need to do something about it.

I remember HQ asking us whether we have any examples of holy discontent to share. I was inspired by Sharon's sharing about how she saw the burden on the leaders back in Hope Sydney, and thus initiated the prayer intercession ministry together with Junting.

In a smaller way, I've initiated prayer on my own, and it has become a CG-wide thing. We were discussing together with Sarah's CG as well how we can implement it more effectively.

Anyway, I was sharing last time about how I think the CG needs to grow in their desire for the WOG, and also because I felt we were not focusing enough on spiritual things e.g. emphasis/desire for WOG. In response to that, HQ reminded and encouraged me that if I see a need, then I should step out and speak out and take the initiative.

Reflecting on this, I think I can have a deep burden and ideals to see things done, but I need to commit to carrying them through. I realised that some things that hinder me from being effective for God in implementing these things are fear of what others may think or say. And also the feeling of loneliness as I step out - "Is there no one else?" And the feeling of inadequacy.
  • Fear of men's opinions
  • Fear of doing it alone
  • Fear of not making it
But I'm reminded of David the shepherd boy. He saw Goliath taunting the Israelite army. While most people would have just seen a really big giant heading an Iron-Age army versus the weaker Bronze-Age army of Israel - David saw it in a totally different paradigm.

The boy David said indignantly to the soldiers near him (even though he was just a civilian - and just bringing the supplies at that):
1 Samuel 17:26
David asked the men standing near him, "What will be done for the man who kills this Philistine and removes this disgrace from Israel? Who is this uncircumcised Philistine that he should defy the armies of the living God?"
So yes, there are huge challenges so beyond us. But we are one of the armies of the living God! When I see the church in the book of Acts, and I see my CG, I know that we have so much to grow to be the church that God would have us be.

But yes, as we gather together to humbly go down on our knees and intercede for our land, I believe that God will do great and mighty deeds.

Very timely too, this article that I read: Masculinity: Unwanted. It's very raw and heartfelt. Maybe it could be more balanced. But feel the aching fire and passion behind these words, and consider carefully the point that the author is making:
A seminary professor’s mind can ponder wisdom, order, and justice. His brain can help him to discern the weightier matters of theology and assist him with understanding sacred text in its original language. His heart can affirm what is valuable and beautiful and stir a desire within him to love God, his wife, his children, and his neighbor. It can inspire him to lift his hands toward heaven as he praises God in corporate worship.

But if he has no animating urge, no motivating courage or gumption compelling him to take the risks that are required to create and establish justice, he becomes a paper lion, a punch line, a cautionary tale. If he has no fire burning in his belly, no tenacity to inflate his chest and lungs, he won’t be able to withstand, genuinely and authentically, the turmoil that accompanies the realities of loving people on earth or God in heaven.

What good is such a person who earnestly studies God with his mind, sincerely praises him from his heart, but fails to actualize either his thoughts or his emotions? Where is his fiery faith put into being—which, by the way, is something God expects from us? What if a man does not labor to put feet on the good desires born in his head and heart? Doesn’t that make him the noisy gong that the apostle Paul denounces? Isn’t he what James would call a talker but not a doer?

Maybe I just described your father. Or a sibling. Or a friend. Or you. I know this much: I just described the life I lived for far too long.
I need to be a MAN after God's own heart...

But yes, I need to be zealous with the right frame of mind. And that's why I need to know God's Word clearly. And to work together more closely with my CL too.

Not just discontent, but holy discontent.
Proverbs 19:2
It is not good to have zeal without knowledge, nor to be hasty and miss the way.
:)
Proverbs 23:17
"17 Do not let your heart envy sinners,
but always be zealous for the fear of the LORD.
18 There is surely a future hope for you,
and your hope will not be cut off."

No comments: