Sunday, March 1, 2009

Psalm 100

Was meditating on Psalm 100 just now. It's a psalm for giving thanks. I think one purpose of the psalms is to help us remember precepts and principles. Not just remember mentally, but remember in the heart. Because music and meter have a powerful effect. They help us remember it emotionally too.
"Worship the LORD with gladness;
come before him with joyful songs. [...]
Enter his gates with thanksgiving,
and his courts with praise."
We worship God, come before him, enter his gates and his courts every Sunday. But this psalm made me think. Later on I'll be going for Sunday service, as I've done every week (mostly) for the past ten years.

But how many of these times did I worship him with gladness? With joyful songs? With thanksgiving? With praise?

Then, I thought again.

Why am I thinking about "how many of these times"?

That sounds rather legalistic, actually. A forced smile, a constipated prayer.

But that's not what Psalm 100 is telling us to do. It reminds us why we are to give thanks.

"Know that the LORD is God. It is he who made us, and we are hisl
we are his people, the sheep of his pasture. [...]
For the LORD is good and his love endures forever;
his faithfulness continues through all generations."

Did the Lord do something incredibly sweet for you ten years ago?

And did the Lord do something incredibly sweet for you ten minutes ago?

And... to take the helicopter view, the bigger picture:

I've been through the JC, NS, NUS and Adults ministries. And, I'm also in children's ministry.

I've seen people dance for joy before the Lord, and worship Him reverently - be it the young children or the old people.

I've seen with my own eyes thousands of people worshipping the Lord, people from all over the world, from every nation, tribe, people and language.

I've seen so many churches gathered together in unity under one Name in one National Stadium to pray for this beloved tiny little nation of ours.

"For the LORD is good and his love endures forever;
his faithfulness continues through all generations."

So let us give thanks to the Lord, especially in service! :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey yeuann.. just popping by your blog! thanks for always having this heart of thanksgiving unto the Lord, it really uplifts me to see your childlike faith and joy in Him. let's cont this walk with Him to know Him and make Him known! -joyce