Monday, March 16, 2009

Do We See People?

Against all odds, the Kenyan writer Binyavanga Wainaina sometimes tries to correct the traditional image of Africa in the media. In one of his most well-known essays, How to write about Africa, he lays waste all the clichés that exist regarding Africa.



Do we see an African and a white woman? Or a man and woman in love?




I recently heard a few brothers voicing their dissatisfaction about the foreign workers in Singapore. It made me feel a bit sad.

Do we see nationalities, occupations, social classes, educational degrees... or do we see people?

Ever since studying the book of Philemon last year, I realised in Christ there is supposed to be no difference in how we treat one another, whether we are slaves or scholars. Because Christ has made us brothers.

So I am now learning to see my maid, Lena, not as a maid anymore, but as a godly woman who loves God, a fellow sister in Christ.

In fact, even though she already has three children, she adopted a girl, because her mother was a prostitute and had to give her girl away. So Lena adopted her, despite the fact that she is not so well-off.

Whoa. Here is a noble woman of God. I have so much to learn from her.

I wonder, what are the thoughts in our hearts when we talk with the less-educated people in our own church? Do we sometimes think they have nothing much to teach us, while we university graduates can teach them something - being the future leaders of Singapore and all that? Because I've thought that way before, to be honest. :P

I think how I think about others says much more about what I am than who they are. :)

Added: Huaqiang wrote a great entry about the same kind of thing.

No comments: