Sunday, March 1, 2009

Cuong's Wedding

I went for Cuong's wedding last night. It was so simple, but so heartwarming and sweet. (Haha WZ, I'll tell you more. Think you might like to try using this format.)

And its simplicity didn't detract from its fun - one of the more boisterous brothers came up with an impromptu list of 'saboh' items. Absolutely hilarious. Since they're Christians, they didn't make Cuong and his lovely bride drink beer, but... they brewed an insanely powerful cup of herbal tea for them! Best!

And the killer laughter moment was when Cuong's bride looked at her cup overloaded with the Insanely Powerful Herbal Tea. Then she looked at Cuong's cup. She proceeded to transfer some of her share into poor Cuong's cup. And sweetly smiled at him. Poor Cuong could only stare and grin. What an auspicious start to their marriage... ROFL! We all cracked up totally.

I got seated at table no. 3, which was with a few families. Their kids were there too - the table was overflowing with kids. And I absolutely loved it. Chatted with the parents, and I was so blessed by their sharing. =)

Most of the guests there are from the Navigators. Since Cuong was from the Navigators. Anyway, as I was chatting with some of them, they asked me whether I was Cuong's friend. I told them yes, and that I had brought him to Christ.

Then their eyes opened wide, and they exclaimed to me, "So you are the one!"

"Huh? I am the one? What one?"

"The one Cuong was telling us about! He had told us that someone brought him to Christ..."

Gosh! To be honest, I felt so honoured when I heard that. Hee. And I really thanked God for his mercy. That He used someone like me to touch a life. In a way, Cuong may not be having a Christian wedding if he hadn't received Christ. So God graciously gave me the privilege of being the one who had brought Cuong to Christ, together with Dehua. And no one else in the world could have this special privilege. It's just like an inheritance.

I think this is part of what God meant when he says that we his children are co-heirs with his Son in this spiritual inheritance.

But was also thinking, that since the Navigators had been reaching out to him too, he might have come to know Christ anyway. It's just that God chose to use Dehua and me to lead him to Christ six years ago. So ultimately all the glory goes to God alone.

=) Hee! Anyway, got to meet up with another old friend from NUS. Bin Bin. He's from China. And he told me he received Christ last year! I was so surprised, but so happy. And I said to him, "Wow, I'm so glad to hear that... brother!" And he grinned.

He shared with me enthusiastically, even though he's naturally quite shy, about what God has done for him. He had gone through a period of meaninglessness, but met Christ through some friends. And he told me that now, instead of playing soccer and endless hours of computer games, he now goes to church on Sunday.

When he said that, he said it in such a childlike kind of joy, that I knew that he dearly treasured this new meaning that he has received from Jesus Christ. It made me think about how much do I treasure the simple fact and privilege that I am actually a member of God's family?

That I can actually go to church every Sunday?
That the worship songs I sing can actually mean something to me?
That I can actually partake of the Lord's supper?
That I can actually read the Bible and understand what it says?
That I can actually pray and hear from God?
That I can actually be forgiven of my sins?
That I can actually pray for someone else?
That I can actually serve other people in Jesus' name?
That I can actually lead someone to Christ?
That I can actually be baptized in the Holy Spirit?
That I am no longer an alien, but a member of God's family?
That I can actually have a new birth, a new life, a new hope and a new future?
That I can actually go to heaven when I die and be with the Lord forevermore?

Wow. And the joy in his eyes, and his childlike confessions of faith really ministered to me. I felt so happy I wanted to hug him. But paiseh lah, our culture cannot lah. So I just shook hands with him. =)

So many other things, but was very refreshed. The whole atmosphere had such a simple joy about it. It really felt very family. Haha... I hope and pray that my wedding next time (in future) can be like this too, with the atmosphere of the family of God, and joyful laughter and love filling the whole place. That my non-Christian family and friends can know that we are His disciples, if we love one another.

Yeah and amen!

No comments: