Thursday, December 28, 2006

Water from a Deeper Well: Spiritual Poverty

Spiritual poverty is experiencing the reality of our condition.

Been reading this stirring book, "How People Grow", by Dr. Henry Cloud and Dr. John Townsend. It's one of the best books that I've read this year - it was, I think, a God-sent instrument in helping transform my life to a deeper extent of humility and sweetness of spirit. :)

Hee, though actually very pleasantly surprised to see that quite a lot of things that my shepherd had shared with me before were in this book - I think God was confirming what my shepherd had so wisely inputted into my life the year before.

So, this particular chapter from the abovementioned book struck me deeply today, as I was reading it on the bus. It stirred in me old memories of last year, when I was really broken-hearted - and how I experienced God so powerfully through that time. How He brought me to my knees, and crawling to Him, I found mercy, grace, peace and joy like never before.

It especially touched me today, because I was feeling quite distant this week from God, trying to get back in touch with Him. Think He reminded me to have a broken spirit once again, to move back to my first love - Jesus Christ.

Felt encouraged after reading it, because it brought me back to the basics again. =) Hee, that I'm not alone. There's a lot to write in here, but in essence, realising that I'm a broken sinner, makes me crawl back to Jesus, and I find that I'm closer to Him like never before. :)

Hee... strangely, in the midst of my melancholy, I find Him deeper and closer like never before. When I seek Him with all my heart in prayer so stumbling and childishly, even on the bus, I find a supernatural peace fill my heart, and I just find His joy and peace filling up my heart again. Wow! :)

It's through this time of uncertainty and fear and nostalgia and loneliness - I had a weird dream just now during a night nap - that I find Him even closer, and I am much strengthened in my heart because of Him.

"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil, for You are with me;
Your rod and your staff, they comfort me."


So think another reminder is that He wants to be welcomed into every area of my life, even the messed-up ones. I think I've been holding back from Him in some areas of my life, not yielding fully to His guidance, not telling Him about these, nor being open to His correction in these areas.

How I long for a broken heart, for "the LORD is close to the broken-hearted, and save those who are crushed in spirit!"

And He restores my soul. :) Hee... and I'm looking forwards to sharing more testimonies of His breakthroughs in my life... God is simply so good! :D aMeN!

No comments: