Saturday, December 30, 2006

Of Human Resolutions and Divine Resolve - Hope and Focus

Hmm... oh yah. The sermon itself spoke to me too. It was "A New You", from Ephesians 2:19-22. Jasmine shared 3 main points:
1. A new family
2. A new foundation
3. A new focus

Think the 2nd point really spoke to me. I learnt something new: Evaluating my day with God - did I learn to love God more? Learn something new about Him? And have I loved my neighbour more?

Else the day would have been a failure. But thank God, with Christ, we can always start afresh each new day! It's never too late! =)

And the part about security - this sentence struck me:
"But when we understand God's unfailing love, we would be the most secure people on earth."

*******
Hmm... so a new start... I'm thinking. What are some things that I want to grow in in the next year?

Definitely, one thing would be growing less inwards-looking, more outwards-looking. And upwards-looking too. :)

To shepherd two sheep. It's been an old, old resolution for many years already, and hee, God has been faithful, I'm now following up on a younger brother. Very touched by His grace to me. His love never fails.

To train up my 2 chosen MM successors in NUS ministry by February.

To bring one working adult friend into the Adults ministry by June. (by faith!)

To find a job in the media sector by February... then perhaps end December find a job in SPH or MediaCorp...

To finish reading the Old Testament by end 2007.



Actually, come to think of it, a lot of these resolutions are things that we intend to DO.

But just how many of these resolutions aim to BE?

Perhaps the problem with our resolutions, especially for us Christians, is not that we do not dream enough resolutions.

The problem is that we do not dream resolutions BIG enough.

Dare to dream such big dreams for God, that without God, they will utterly fail.

I'm not thinking of resolutions that aim to take over the world or something like that. I'm thinking of resolutions that aim for something deeper - a transformation of the soul.

To be like that kernel of wheat that falls to the ground and dies. When it dies, it produces many seeds. Or to be a fisher of men.

*******
I'm thinking again... what framework could I use for my resolutions this coming year?

Think what Jasmine shared about the 2 greatest commandments in the Bible, it struck me a lot:
"Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.

And love your neighbour as yourself.


Think I'll rewrite my resolutions then.

1. Loving God with all my heart:
I want to love God deeper, to be more open with Him in my prayers. To turn to Him more often, especially in my times of discouragement and melancholy.

2. Loving God with all my soul:
I resolve to sing at least one thanksgiving song to Him each morning in prayer... just to thank Him for who He is.

Especially to grow in the attitude of joy - something that I really, really want to grow in.

3. Loving God with all my mind:
To practise combatting the insecure and negative thoughts that keep coming into my mind with the Word of God. One way: Pray to God daily to help me grow in this area. I don't really know any other ways, except studying. But I found that prayer is the most powerful way to grow, besides the Bible.

To trust God to provide for all my needs, because I keep on committing the sin of worry. That includes my job search, my future life partner, my ministry, etc... to remember constantly, seek first His kingdom and His righteousness...

4. Loving God with all my strength:
Ah... this one ah... first thing that comes to my mind is jogging.

I can jog. Just that it's really not something that I'm inclined to do. :)

Another thing... I'm thinking again. Strength - I think one thing that needs a lot of strength is endurance, self-control and patience.

Emotional strength - the patience to wait out an emotionally trying time... to wait upon Him for His promises... when I'm tempted to argue with someone or flare up.

Endurance and self-control - times when I feel like sleeping a bit more, feel like being selfish, taking that extra piece for myself.

Emotional strength and self-control - Lord, there's really two things I want to grow in this year - these are the two things.

Oh yes... the word "hope" comes to my mind.

Hebrews 6:17-19
17Because God wanted to make the unchanging nature of his purpose very clear to the heirs of what was promised, he confirmed it with an oath.
18God did this so that, by two unchangeable things in which it is impossible for God to lie, we who have fled to take hold of the hope offered to us may be greatly encouraged.
19We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure.


And "focus". Wow. I think His Spirit is right here with me, and He's gently nudging me, like, oei, Yeu Ann, don't forget these very two things that I want you to know and take notice of...

5. Loving my neighbour as myself.

I'm getting quite tired here, so I'll put this off for later. :)

No comments: