Tuesday, December 26, 2006

The Nature of Spiritual Warfare

Thinking about this again.

I know what I need to do, and even what to think when I feel down and discouraged.

But I think I realised something just now. I realise that even though I know a lot of verses, the confusion that I feel inside my mind is due in a large part my forgetting important verses of Scriptures that I can quote to defend myself against temptations and spiritual attacks on my mind.

Jerry Bridges, in his book "The Pursuit of Holiness", describes Satan as a guerilla foe. Even though he is a defeated foe due to Christ's victory on the cross, he still keeps on striking, ambushing, deceiving and discouraging us, especially when we are weak or unaware.

So it's important, very important, to train ourselves to be able to exercise the right verses against each attack - something that Zewei taught us a few years ago, to constantly memorise and effectively deploy the Word of God against the flaming arrows of the evil one.

Alan, in his teaching about making sense of our experiences, taught us that it is important not only to see what we can learn from an experience, but to also see what Bible verses is appropriate for that experience, and what these verses tell us to do and think.

And that's something I want to make as a New Year's resolution: to train myself effectively to counter my negative thoughts and emotions with the word of God. Amen!

No comments: