Saturday, December 30, 2006

Some Quickie Reflections About Myself

Just read Huanyan's latest post. Think it's very inspiring. And also read Hong Teck's email to us about making purposeful New Year's resolutions. Think the spirit that I caught from Hong Teck's email is that it's not so much the making of New Year's resolutions that counts rather than the spirit of being purposeful.

Like Jesus said, "The kingdom of heaven is forcefully advancing, and forceful men lay hold of it." If we want to advance together with the kingdom of heaven, we gotta push forward purposefully and forcefully.

I was playing this war-game where a tank was rolling forward (and destroying everything in its way), and the infantry came storming forcefully besides the tank. Think it's a visual metaphor for how we likewise should have this same attitude of forcefully pushing forward. Especially us men.

Personally, I realised something about myself - though it's an old realisation, so it's more of a reminder. I'm too laid-back, preferring others to take the initiative and pull me along. Unless I get frustrated, in which case I get up and start moving on.

Truth is, it's not comfortable for me to push out of my comfort zone, 'cos I like stable and safe situations. If things don't change, great! If things change... can lah... but rather not, if I can.

Enough of my pontifications - let's get something done, and push forward purposefully for Christ!

But I need to keep well this in mind what Peter told me at the beginning of 2006: "I do all these things... because of Jesus."

Or else I'd have pushed forward and laboured in vain.
"Unless the Lord builds the house,
its builders labour in vain.
Unless the Lord watches over the city,
its watchmen stand guard in vain.

In vain you rise early and stay up late,
toiling for food to eat,
for He grants sleep to those He love."


Perhaps this could be my verse for the next year?

No comments: