Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Just to add on to my previous post:

This thought came to my mind just now. I think God allowed this to happen, for me to forget to contact the person in charge, because He wants to show me, to bring to light, to expose the true depths of my character - and most importantly, to test and show me what is my TRUE response when my faults and sins are brought into the light.

Hmm... I remember what Ps Jeff said during the Alpha camp earlier this year on overcoming evil:
"God tests us to help us pass; the devil tempts us to make us fail!"

So, from that experience, I see how much I tend to make excuses for my behaviours and attitudes, instead of accepting responsibility for them.

For I know my transgressions,
and my sin is always before me.


Will I go the way of King Saul, who said, "They sinned - not me!", or will I respond like King David, "I sinned - no one else!"

*******
I always love Psalm 51 - I think it's one of the most beautiful psalms in the Bible. I always turn to this psalm when I feel crushed, disappointed, guilty, condemned... because it reminds me to own up to the Judge of all Ages, to confess everything... so that I may receive mercy and grace to help me in my time of need.

Psalm 51
For the choir director: A psalm of David, regarding the time Nathan the prophet came to him after David had committed adultery with Bathsheba.

1 Have mercy on me, O God,
because of your unfailing love.
Because of your great compassion,
blot out the stain of my sins.
2 Wash me clean from my guilt.
Purify me from my sin.
3 For I recognize my rebellion;
it haunts me day and night.
4 Against you, and you alone, have I sinned;
I have done what is evil in your sight.
You will be proved right in what you say,
and your judgment against me is just.
5 For I was born a sinner—
yes, from the moment my mother conceived me.
6 But you desire honesty from the womb,
teaching me wisdom even there.


And it never fails to make me cry when I read this part - so desperate is his spirit:

7 Purify me from my sins, and I will be clean;
wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.
8 Oh, give me back my joy again;
you have broken me—
now let me rejoice.
9 Don’t keep looking at my sins.
Remove the stain of my guilt.
10 Create in me a clean heart, O God.
Renew a loyal spirit within me.
11 Do not banish me from your presence,
and don’t take your Holy Spirit from me.
12 Restore to me the joy of your salvation,
and make me willing to obey you.


How good God is!
16 You do not desire a sacrifice, or I would offer one.
You do not want a burnt offering.
17 The sacrifice you desire is a broken spirit.
You will not reject a broken and repentant heart, O God.

No comments: