Wednesday, December 27, 2006

A Stronger Heart

Came back from MACHO Turbo outing, a brothers' discipleship group. :) Benaiah taught us about the importance of having a strong heart for God.

Six qualities that we need to check our hearts regularly:
1. Maintaining a pure heart.
2. A contrite heart.
3. A heart that fears God (as in a healthy sense of awe).
4. A heart of faithfulness.
5. A heart of obedience.
6. A heart that seeks and loves God.

3 application points that we can apply: to Yield, to Cleanse and to Guard our hearts.

*******
I think this teaching came in at a very timely moment. Because what Benaiah shared struck me: if our hearts for God are weak, even though we may have the sincere desire to want to do great things for God, we will not be able to sustain the pace.

A weak heart is one that is easily discouraged. It doesn't matter how strong we appear on the outside - the real test comes when we are put under the test - will we stand, or will we flee?

So it struck me that I have a weak heart. As Proverbs aptly puts it:
Proverbs 24:10
If you falter in times of trouble, how small is your strength!


Hmm. Reflecting back on these 4.5 years, I think one thing that I need to grow in is a stronger heart. And I'm glad that God has preserved me through all these times when I faltered, and that's because He's so gracious to me. But yeah, the working world's coming, and I know that I have a weak heart, and I'm afraid that I may not be able to stand up under the pressure. The temptations to compromise my faith and integrity will be very strong. So I think God brought me to this MACHO Turbo gathering at the perfect time and place, and taught me through Benaiah this teaching.

So that He can point out to me that my heart is still weak, and more encouragingly, how to strengthen my heart to be ready for the much harder times that are to come.

Thank You, Daddy. :) Please help me grow in a stronger heart for You in the next few months. In Jesus' name, amen!

No comments: