Sunday, December 17, 2006

DISC Test Results

Took the DISC test today.

For more info, can take a look at http://www.discprofile.com/discclassic.htm

Dominance: People who score high in the intensity of the 'D' styles factor are very active in dealing with problems and challenges, while low D scores are people who want to do more research before committing to a decision. High "D" people are described as demanding, forceful, egocentric, strong willed, driving, determined, ambitious, aggressive, and pioneering. Low D scores describe those who are conservative, low keyed, cooperative, calculating, undemanding, cautious, mild, agreeable, modest and peaceful.

Influence: People with High I scores influence others through talking and activity and tend to be emotional. They are described as convincing, magnetic, political, enthusiastic, persuasive, warm, demonstrative, trusting, and optimistic. Those with Low I scores influence more by data and facts, and not with feelings. They are described as reflective, factual, calculating, skeptical, logical, suspicious, matter of fact, pessimistic, and critical.

Steadiness: People with High S styles scores want a steady pace, security, and don't like sudden change. Low S intensity scores are those who like change and variety. High S persons are calm, relaxed, patient, possessive, predictable, deliberate, stable, consistent, and tend to be unemotional and poker faced. People with Low S scores are described as restless, demonstrative, impatient, eager, or even impulsive.

Conscientiousness: Persons with High C styles adhere to rules, regulations, and structure. They like to do quality work and do it right the first time. High C people are careful, cautious, exacting, neat, systematic, diplomatic, accurate, tactful. Those with Low C scores challenge the rules and want independence and are described as self-willed, stubborn, opinionated, unsystematic, arbitrary, and careless with details.


Alan and Zewei helped analyze and explain the results. Was very surprised by my results (though it confirmed what I had been suspecting):

BTW this was done in a ministry context, to see how I tend to relate with people.

For my private self - according to the DISC philosophy, how I respond under stress is a very good measure of what my REAL self is:
The Conscientiousness (aka "Melancholic") component is very high relative to the other three. Cool... According to the overview, my general characteristics are that I'm accurate/analytical, conscientious/careful, fact-finder/precise and have high standards/systematic.

But some of my possible weaknesses are that I need clear-cut boundaries for actions/relationships, tend to get bogged down in details and prefer not to verbalize feelings. Think it's very true of me... I struggle to express verbally how I feel, but thank God for Peter, Hanhui and Ruey Fong who helped me with this area of my life.

And my greatest fear is criticism. I'm very sensitive to feedback. There's two ways to see this: Sensitive as in taking feedback very seriously - that can mean that your feedback will be seriously considered. But also, I tend to take feedback a bit too personally too, because to me, my work represents who I am, rather than what I do. True true...

Public self - the self that I project outwards to others (i.e. the self that I THINK people expect of me or that I think is needed for a particular context.)
Surprisingly, my results showed that the I part was VERY high - in fact, above the I component of my perceived self. That means I'm deliberately pushing myself to be the "horseface", the loud and chatty one, even above what I think I am, and definitely not what my real self is. :)

Hmm... not that I'm being hypocritical... I just do it to meet a perceived need in the CG, and also because I believe that being people-oriented is something that's very important in life and especially in the church. Whether this understanding's correct or not, well... lemme think about that now. :)

Alan explained something very important to me at this point. Even though a high I component shows that a person can be very people-oriented, being people-oriented is NOT the same as being relationship-oriented. Got difference here!

The lightbulb went on in my head when I heard that. 'Cos I've been mixing up the two concepts.

Quite interesting... and oh yes! I downplayed my natural C component a LOT in my public self. Zewei suggested that this could be because the CG ministry I'm in at the moment may need more of the I aspect and less of the C aspect - perhaps because other C-type people are filling that role already. But my high C component would suggest that I actually prefer to do roles like multimedia (yes, I like it a lot... hee...).

*******
Oh, at this point, I also realise that C-type people like me prefer accuracy so much to a point that we prioritise perfection over deadlines.

And that I have various other traits of the other 3 aspects (D,I,S) in my private self too - albeit much lower than the C aspect. So that's why, even in doing work, I like to have someone together with me (S aspect), and why I can talk a lot when I'm with a friend (I aspect) and attempts too much at once (D aspect).
*******

Finally, my perceived self - the self-image, self-identity:
This is very interesting... hee hee... according to the pattern style described by my perceived self, due to my high I and C components, I'm an Assessor.

According to the book that I got, an Assessor is one who reveals value in others. An Assessor is observant of details as well as the unique value of people. They combine a concern for particulars with an awareness and appreciation for the people needed to accomplish tasks; this lends to the development of open channels of communication. They will frequently express an enthusiasm and optimism for accomplishing tasks, as well as being an encouraging influence to those around them. These are traits they derive from the "I" influence of the character. However, their enthusiasm will be based upon a thorough assessment of the factors required to achieve the goal, and their encouragement will be directed to the accomplishment of the task at hand. Assessors are typically excellent judges of character, and will easily trust those who meet their standards.

Assessors can be counted on to do a good job, to value their associates and to pay attention to details. They have a tendency to be competitive with themselves; they push themselves to do better in order to avoid any rejection or criticism. People who have this style often have a unique teaching gift.

And oh, some famous people who have this style are Charles Darwin and Bill Gates! Cool! :D


*******
Hmm... surprised and impressed at how perceptive the designers of the tests are... for me, it's very accurate - maybe because melancholics like me tend to reflect on ourselves a lot.

Oh, and given my high C-type results for my private self, that MIGHT put me in the realms of the Logical Thinkers, together with people like Albert Einstein. One key characteristic of them is that they tend to make decisions slowly, based on facts and logic, not emotion, asking "how" and "why" questions. Hee hee... think this is very true of me...

Think there's still some more that I left out... but in any case, it's been a wonderful time finding out more about what God has made me to be.

You know, it struck me that even though the "I" aspect of me is not naturally high, a lot of people have confirmed over the years that they feel very encouraged when I encourage them, even non-verbally through my actions and so on. Wow... thank God so much for this gift! :D Think then, this is a very strong indicator that my ability is encourage is DEFINITELY NOT a natural gift, but a supernatural one, given by the Holy Spirit. Whee! Praise God, from whom all blessings flow!

Hee hee... thank God so much... He is so cool! :D Yup... excited to see how I can contribute next time to my new CG in future... and in my workplace too! To shine for Jesus! :D To be His salt and light! Onwards for Jesus! aMeN!

No comments: