Friday, March 16, 2007

A Tooth (Truth) to Chew On

My tooth filling wasn't enough. Apparently, the dentine's now gotten infected. But really thank God that though it was aching when I fell asleep... at least, I could FALL ASLEEP. :) Sleep, the best anesthetic. ;)

But woke up at 7 am with a flaring toothache. So, after repeated calls to the NUH Dental Centre, I'm going down now.

Read this verse just now as I was waiting on the phone, 'cos I wanted God to speak to me through this experience. Was surprised to find this verse, but think it's something to chew upon. :)
Proverbs 25:19
Like a bad tooth or a lame foot is reliance on the unfaithful in times of trouble.

Thinking of my bad tooth, and Peter's lame leg, think it gives me a very sensory experience into what it's really like to have to rely on an unfaithful person in times of trouble.

You need the tooth, but for all practical purposes, trying to chew using a bad molar is a dicey proposition at best. And it's painful. No, not painful. It's P-A-I-N-F-U-L. But bo pian lah, no choice.

Then it makes me think about how does it feel to the other person if I'm being irresponsible or unfaithful, making promises that I never keep?

Oh! Here's a more contemporary version of Proverbs 25:19:
"Trusting a double-crosser when you're in trouble
is like biting down on an abscessed tooth."

Cool... hmm... was thinking what this verse means, and why this verse is in the Bible, and how can I apply it into my life?

Think the most straightforward understanding of this verse is that:

1. It HURTS when someone you trust betrays or deceives you, especially if you were looking to that guy to help you out.

2. Sometimes when you're in trouble, you're tempted to trust a double-crosser... be exceedingly careful. Trust at your own risk. Achtung! Minefield. Live firing area, etc.

I guess it's a gray area here - I think God's Word cautions me that I trust the double-crosser to help me out at my own risk. Yes, you can chew using a badly-infected tooth, but you better be very, very careful when you do so.

Practical advice for office politics, I think! Wow, God's Word has advice even for the "gray areas" of life's "gray days". Isn't God cool? :) w00t!

No comments: