Friday, March 16, 2007

An Apology for Apologetics

Found this article, An Apology for Apologetics, just now. Thank God for it - it came at a very timely moment. Truly, I know that my God has not left us alone, for He is with us. :) Emmanuel! (God with us!)

There are several vital tasks left for apologetics to perform.

(1) Pre-evangelism. In defining the essence of saving faith the Reformers distinguished among three elements: (a) content of data of faith (notitia); (b) objective truth of the content (assensus); (c) personal trust or reliance on the truth (fiducia). The third, fiducia, can only be wrought by the operation of the Holy Spirit via regeneration. The first two are assisted by apologetics. The heart cannot trust what the mind does not affirm. There can be assent (assensus) without trust (fiducia) but not trust (fiducia) without assent (assensus).

(2) Restrain evil. Calvin argued that one value of apologetics was to “stop the mouths of the obstreperous.” Here apologetics, though not able to convert the infidel, can restrain the unbeliever from unbridled assault against the faith.

(3) Support believers. Converted Christians can become so easily intimidated by intellectual critique that they lose their boldness to proclaim the Gospel. They are also vulnerable to being assailed by doubts.

(4) Commonplace benefits. There is benefit to culture derived when Christianity enjoys a status of intellectual credibility. When the faith is relegated to a reservation of personal religion or piety based solely on sentiment, it has difficulty informing the institutions that shape culture. Where Christian truth is established with credibility, it has a salutary effect on culture.

The apologetic task is difficult, complex, and never-ending. Yet it is the mandate of God to us. The responsibility is ours; its success is God’s.


'Cos YF, Flince and I were discussing about this earlier on. We had a pretty difficult time today, but I'm so thankful to God that such times draw us closer together as friends - more than that - comrades in Christ, if you could put it that way. :) (no, i'm not communist lah...)

I'm really touched that one of us skipped a test to be with him. Though obviously it's not recommended, i was really struck by the heart here, esp since we saw the urgency of the situation. My friend, Jesus'll never ever forget what you did for this bro that day... "I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of Mine, you did it unto Me."

Zhiwei gave me a hug. Really thank God for him. :)

Something I realised is that I think I know a lot about something, so I don't bother to learn and read up about it, until the test comes, and I find I lack knowledge. :( Realised that this is a trait of me that applies to many, many areas of my life. Thankfully, by God's grace, I respond and start brushing up and learning. But... I think I need to repent in this area of my life -
"We know that we all possess knowledge. Knowledge puffs up, but love builds up.
The man who thinks he knows something does not yet know as he ought to know.
But the man who loves God is known by God."
1 Cor 8:1-3


It's pruning time. God's with us - He's pruning us. :)

No comments: