Monday, March 19, 2007

Are You Tone-Deaf?

Hey! This is cool... came across this site... http://jakemandell.com/tonedeaf/?4a203ca8

This test is self-explanatory. BTW it also tests your aural memory... which I'm terrible in. :P Even after 10+ years of listening to the National Anthem, I still can't sing it properly to save my life. :P Nvm...

On this test, I scored 66.7% Correct, which means that I'm slightly below normal perception, but above low-normal perception. :)

Cool. Which means that my hearing-impairment doesn't really have anything that much to do with my sense of music... just that it's harder to tell the difference without hearing aids.

Ah. But I'm below the average of 73.9% out of 60,000+ participants. :P Hah... well I don't care. :)

And after that, I tried out this test to see if I can distinguish between two tones.
http://tonometric.com/adaptivepitch/

According to this test, my pitch perception's pretty good - at 500 Hz I can reliably differentiate two tones 1.65 Hz apart. :) wow! Thank God for that...

And for the final treat:
Are You Rhythm-Deaf?
(aka the "It's not my fault I can't dance - it's my cerebellum!" test)
This is the most interesting test... according to the site:
Recent research has emerged suggesting that rhythm perception and pitch perception deficits may be linked. Since it has long been known that people with poor rhythm perception abilities are often poor dancers, I though it would be interesting to make a test that would give an objective measure of rhythm perception.


In other words, you can find out if you're a potential candidate for "So You Think You Can Dance?" or a William-Hung wannabe. :P

I scored 68%. Cool! Above normal. William Hung, eat your heart out, man. :P

No comments: