Friday, March 2, 2007

Responsibilities of a Mature Adult



A funny strip, but think it's very timely, yesterday and today. 'Cos somehow, there's been a bunch of incidents, experiences, others' casual comments and the Bible verses that I've been reading - all these seem to be pointing towards the same thing: Responsibilities.

'Cos one bro was sharing with me about a friend who is taking quite a long time to assume his/her responsibilities to provide for his/her family financially even though he/she's not getting any younger.

What struck me was how seriously this dear bro took these responsibilities to be. His remark set me thinking for a while. Shared with him that I also feel some of these responsibilities as a burden in my heart - e.g. I want to find a job quickly, 'cos I don't want to be a financial burden to my family, and also I want to bless my parents back who have worked so hard for me and my siblings. They're very old, and yet they're still working to provide for us. (REALLY thank God they're still hale and hearty for their ages... but still, it won't be quite the same as they grow even older.)

Then it set me off to think on a variety of topics:

E.g. How about my responsibilities as a student? I may not have been the best student on campus, but was I the best student that I CAN be?

Thought about it, and soberly speaking, there were quite a lot of squandered opportunities where I didn't push myself to excel. But still, on the grace side, I know some of my weaknesses, e.g. procrastination, can also be turned into strengths if managed properly. Etc. etc.

But like what the Bible says, forgetting what lies behind, let's press on forwards to the heavenly prize that's in store for us! :) So I felt really thankful to the Spirit, that He has opened my eyes and helped me see that becoming an adult has greater responsibilities.

Hmm... I think this new insight is particularly meaningful and important to me, 'cos all these years, something that never really struck me was the sense of responsibility. I mean, I've been blessed to live a privileged life all my life, what with a maid, car, university education, etc., but think one problem that comes with all these blessings is that I start thinking I'm not responsible to take good care or make full use of the things that have been given / entrusted to me.

Luke 12:48b
[Jesus said:]"...From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked."

But like what my Chief Clerk in Army reminded me: "Oei! It's a PRIVILEGE, not an entitlement!"

I guess for many, many people, this would have been duh-isn't-it-obvious... yeah... I don't know why I took so long to see this truth. But... thank God... better late than never.

But whatever happens, I know that this is a very timely truth. 'Cos I'm starting a new phase of life. Life's not care-free anymore, but the Lord has already invited us to cast all our cares onto Him, because He cares for us. :)

Shirley commented to me some time ago that guys tend to take a longer time to mature. I think that's very true... though I believe that's not necessarily a bad thing - just as a tall strong oak tree takes years to grow and mature, so the character of a man needs time to grow. Of course, growing is essential to a healthy walk with God... like what my dear shepherd taught me - what's really important is not so much of how fast you grow, but whether you KEEP on growing, regardless of how much.

Just like a marathon - doesn't matter how fast or slow, as long as you still go.

So I was thinking, part of becoming a mature adult is knowing what your responsibilities in life are, and fulfilling them. Especially for those who want to be true disciples of Christ.

Hmm. Still thinking about that.

And oh, just want to add a note of thanks to God again: I went up to Popular Bookshop, and stumbled upon two useful books - a condensed version of "Rich Dad, Poor Dad", a guide to effective financial management, and a book on "Getting Organized". Thank God for these serendipitous discoveries! Bought both of them - I think these two resources are useful for helping me learn to fulfill my financial and working responsibilities better.

*******
[digression]
Yup yup... oh yeah, I was reading through the condensed version of "Rich Dad, Poor Dad", and something that struck me was how many of these financial principles set out in the book can be found plainly in the book of Proverbs, in the Bible. E.g. "...He who gathers money little by little makes it grow", "A fool spends all he has...", etc. :)

No, I'm not putting Mr Kiyosaki down - I'm just so impressed how relevant, practical and useful the Bible can be. Like what Francis and Edith Schaeffer said: "All truth is God's truth." Amen! :) 'Cos God is the Father of all truth, and the truth is, the principles in the Bible have power - power that even non-believers can use. Of course, others may say it's common-sense... but hey, all truth belongs to God, and truth is, the truth works, whether you believe in God or not.

Like how Gandhi, though a Hindu, applied the teachings of Jesus on non-violence (e.g. "Do not repay evil for evil..." and "Those who live by the sword shall die by the sword") in his struggle for his nation's independence, and we can see the lasting blessings of this truth on his country. Of course, others may say it's common-sense... but why not give God the benefit of the doubt? :)
[/digression]

No comments: