Tuesday, March 6, 2007

I had a beautiful dream today... a sweet, milky kind of dream.

The Dream
I don't know why, but I think God spoke to me in a very special way this morning.

I've been waking up at 12 pm or later these past weeks, 'cos I've been sleeping very, very late, but yesterday, I decided to start changing my sleeping habits, because I know it's not good for me - physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually. And I also love to spend time with God in the morning... it's just a special thing - somehow, I feel mornings are very special to God.

So after reading a while through the Narnia book, "Voyage of the Dawn Treader", and my Bible, I slept one hour earlier than my usual sleeping hour. And when I woke up, it was 11 am. Ah, for the first time in many weeks, I woke up in the morning, feeling refreshed. :)

And suddenly, these words came to my mind, in a half-dream of sorts, in a lilting sing-song:
"Come and have breakfast."
"Come and have breakfast."
"Come and have breakfast."
You know those kinds of half-dreams where things are true or would be true if they really happened, and yet they seem to be infused with a sweet and milky hue? :) That's how these words were.

I recognised them as part of John 21:12:
Jesus said to them, "Come and have breakfast." None of the disciples dared ask him, "Who are you?" They knew it was the Lord.
And these words also came out from the last few pages of the Narnia book, where the children meet Aslan the Lion, the Christ-figure, who appears to them as a Lamb before transfiguring into the Lion that he is in Narnia. Hee...

And I remembered that St. Augustine detailing in his tome, Confessions, when he was living a hedonistic life as an unbeliever, heard different words in a similar way: "Take it and read.""Take it and read." "Take it and read." And he felt prompted to take up a dusty Bible that he'd never touched before, and read it. So I figured that hey, this could be God speaking to me too.

And with that, I woke up and got out of bed.

Meaning?
I was wondering why these words came to me. Perhaps it's just something simple... I don't know, but I think He was speaking to my heart regarding something that I had been praying to Him yesterday...

Because I was feeling quite distant from God, like God is unreal, and His presence seems so far, far away. To be honest, I didn't ask Him to come near to me... I just shared with Him how I felt towards Him. And I believe He heard that prayer, and answered me that way. :)

So what does "Come and have breakfast?" mean to me?

1. I guess, for one thing, it reminds me that, at the end of the day, sometimes relating with God can be so simple. God simply longs to fellowship with us. We dream of doing all sorts of big things for God, praying long hours, etc... attending caregroups and services... but we forget that He sometimes just wants to sit down and sup with us. :) To eat a good breakfast of kaya and toast together with me, like how He ate fish and chips with His disciples on that beach 2000 years ago.

2. And I think God was also smiling too... He has a divine sense of humour. He knows that I'm struggling to wake up in the morning, so He was telling me, "Come and have breakfast." Breakfast can only be eaten in the morning, so I guess that was His teasing way of congratulating me for breaking through in my sleeping habits.

So funny... God really is like that meh? Then why not... I remember reading from the teaching on obedience, that when we decide to obey God's commands, He is so pleased... And I guess He was as pleased as Punch when I decided to repent of my ungodly sleeping hours. :)

3. Lastly, I think He was also telling me that He really wants to fellowship with me in the morning. Could feel His gentle chiding here. He's incredibly gracious to me, even though I deserve an outright grand scolding. I think He misses those times of fellowship with me in the morning. I don't know why, but it seems to me that God loves times of fellowship in the mornings, if you read about how Jesus fellowshipped with His Father in the early morning, and how the Psalmist spoke of meeting God in the morning. And God created the morning... so I think He loves mornings. :)

Incredibly touched by that dream. How can it be, that God would be so fond of me, despite all my sinfulness? I know it sounds egoistical to say that... so I'll add that He is equally fond of every one of His children, whether lost or found, for He doesn't show favouritism. John 3:16...

Unconditional love... I still have a hard time grasping this beautiful truth, that, in this shattered, broken, polluted, ungodly, insane and dying world, there is Someone who actually loves me enough to die for me. Humbling...
Your love has captured me
Oh my God this love, how can it be?

No comments: