Sunday, October 17, 2010

The Hunting of the Spark: A journal of my journey so far

The Hunting of the Spark: A journal of my journey so far

"Ethnographic analysis of visual media." Another passion that I have so far, besides writing, designing good user interfaces, drama, mime, storytelling... is also exploring other cultures.

I remember how fascinated I was when I took that module on ethnographic analysis. Was captivated by Jean Rouch's videos of West African culture - narrated not by himself but by his own African friends. It was an epiphany for me to watch a French film with the Africans themselves commenting and making fun of themselves as they narrated the video of a trio of friends going to the city, and finding their own passions and successes there. For the first time o actually got to listen to someone share about his own culture. And they too narrated about their own surprise responses to seeing a group of Africans who had a more primitive culture than them. I guess I had always thought of Africans as the Others. But through that module I saw how common our experiences are.

And Jean Rouch not only took documentary videos of African tribes... but of his own 'tribe' too. 'Chronicles of a Summer' (Chroniques d'un ete) was one of his hallmark films of the French people. Fascinating. What normal people would take for granted, he helped his own 'tribe' see their 'mundane' life anew.

Hmm. Putting my passions together, I see I also enjoy finding out about new cultures and interacting with such people. Funny, tho I tend to be introverted. :)

I also enjoy learning about what makes us tick. Learning facts about nature.

Maybe if I cld sum all these key interests, it'd be a sense of pleasure at discovering new things. At exploring and understanding all of God's creation, especially the human condition. :)

And yes, that dream of seeing a great multitude in heaven that no one can count, from every nation, tribe, people and tongue. :)


Sent from my iPhone

No comments: