Monday, February 4, 2008

Psalm 128 - I have a testimony to share!

Psalm 128
A song of ascents.
1 Blessed are all who fear the LORD,
who walk in his ways.

2 You will eat the fruit of your labor;
blessings and prosperity will be yours.

3 Your wife will be like a fruitful vine
within your house;
your sons will be like olive shoots
around your table.

4 Thus is the man blessed
who fears the LORD.

5 May the LORD bless you from Zion
all the days of your life;
may you see the prosperity of Jerusalem,

6 and may you live to see your children's children.
Peace be upon Israel.


While Pastor Ben was expounding on this psalm today during church service, I just felt God was prompting me to pray this psalm as a prayer of blessing for my parents. My parents are Christians, but they're not really committed to a local church, nor is their Bible knowledge strong.

Felt quite nervous when I felt this quiet prompting from the Lord, 'cos as you may know by now, I'm not very close to my family. But this year, I prayed that God will help me draw closer to my family. Because growing in closeness to my parents pleases God, and I know He wants me to pray for my parents to grow in loving Him more. And besides, He wants me to hold my parents in high regards and respect them, even though they may make mistakes, and stumble from time to time. Because Jesus loves them just as much as He does for me. (That was a humbling thought to me.)

So finally I mustered up the courage to approach my parents. Thought out a plan how to pray for them - wasn't sure how they'd react to my wanting to pray for them. 'Cos felt God wanted me to pray for the two of them TOGETHER. Wah.

But, wow! :D Thank God. I explained to my parents why I wanted to share Psalm 128 with them, to pray for them... explained that I felt God was telling me to pray this Bible passage as a prayer of blessing for the two of them.

And to my own surprise, I found myself thanking God for both of them, for how their long marriage has been an inspiration to me. Whoa. I couldn't have done it on my own - would have been too shy to do so. And I prayed specifically for long life, good health and prosperity for both of them in each and every way - be it spiritual, mental, emotional, not just physical or financial. And long life for them, long enough for them to see my own children grow up too. :D And for God's continued blessings upon their marriage. And I also prayed for myself to be a better son to them, to support them more as part of the family.

Hee. My parents were very blessed when I finished praying for them. And I felt a sweet shyness and joy fill my heart, knowing that God was very pleased with me. :D I faced my fear face-on and found that in obeying Him, this prayer that I prayed may been His key to opening the door to a spiritual revival in my household. :D Wow.

And now I know in my heart, not just in my head, that the Lord really longs to richly bless everyone on earth, to all those who call upon Him.
Romans 10:12-13
For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile—the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, for, "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved."


HALLELUJAH! :D

No comments: