Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Just Be Available

He sat there broodingly by himself, his back to the wall.

We called him to come and join us, but wordlessly, he shook his head.

I looked at him, from where I was with the other children, and he looked back at me. So I went over and sat down next with him.

I asked him, "How was your Chinese New Year?"

He said, "Oh, I was tired."

(Tired? A five-year old boy is tired? But I was quite impressed - he seemed very mature for his age. He spoke more like an eight-year old.)

"Tired? How come? Did you go visiting a lot of places?"

"Oh, I was doing housework."

(Housework? A five-year old boy doing housework? Suddenly his age seemed to jump ten years. Housework...)

"Housework? Wow... what kind of housework did you do?"

"Oh, I washed the car..."

(Car? Dear God. Is it just me, or does this boy have a driver's licence already? Maybe he's got his own company already... a five-year old towkay (rich man). Not bad... not bad at all.)

"Car? WOW..."

"I helped my daddy to wash the car. Me and my brother. Splish-splash!"

He stood up and dramatically brandished an imaginary sponge, and started splashing an imaginary bucket of water onto his imaginary car, with imaginary soap flying all around.

"Sploosh!" he exclaimed.

"Wow! Tell me more..."

Hadn't seen him so animated in a long while. :)

Later, after the children's Sunday school class ended, Yung came over and said, "Thanks Yeu Ann! Nathan was so quiet before you went over to talk to him. But after you went over to talk to him, he started coming over and joinin the other kids! Sorry I couldn't take care of him - I really had to take care of the other kids. But thanks so much Yeu Ann."

Wow. Thank You Lord! I was so surprised, and also very blessed by her feedback. 'Cos that day, I was so tired that I really had to sneak off to a tiny corner (literally) to take a nap. Best 20-min nap I ever had - it felt like an hour's worth of sleep. And I thought I hadn't done anything much to help out in the children's class today except talk and sleep. :P

But it turns out... hee. God is so good indeed. Even lazy bums like me, He can still use. :) The only thing that He requires is a willing heart and an available attitude.

I wonder what would have happened that day if I had decided to sleep in instead of dragging my tired body to serve in Sunday school class that day.

Perhaps the Lord today is sweeping his eyes to and fro. He could be looking for anyone below - it doesn't matter who - He just wants to know: are you available to come work in My vineyard today?

Are you tired? Doesn't matter. Just come make yourselves available.
Are you busy? Just come anyway.
Are you hungry? Drop your Big Mac, you big glutton - I've got big work for you to do. :)

If I hadn't been there that day, I would have missed one more chance to impact a child for the Kingdom of God - for eternity, in fact.

So I learnt today, after reflecting, that sometimes I fret so much about being unable to do this or that for Him (or for myself). That discouragement makes me sometimes afraid and unwilling to take the necessary actions (e.g. get out of bed, make that phone call, make preparations, etc.). But that only makes me sink further into fear. And sometimes I end up not being where He wants me to be that day.

Don't be afraid anymore. Don't let your fears stop you from responding to His call, even if it means getting out of the boat - literally.

Just be where He wants you to be that day - just as you are.
Just be available for Him to use.
Just be willing today.
Just be there.
Just be.
Just be His.

"Today, if you hear His voice, do not harden your heart..."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank God for your life and availability. You are making great impact. Keep on sowing.

Anonymous said...

Hong Teck! Haha... it's your spirit of wanting to be available for God... your life testimony that has encouraged and inspired me to give my best for Jesus likewise... thank God for you, bro!