Thursday, February 7, 2008

Just woke up from a very long nap. Gosh. How long has it been? About 4 or 5 hours.

Anyway, today visited my uncle. When my family and I went to their door, the first thing I noticed was that my aunt's hair was unusually a bit more unkempt and her sweet countenance now had a tinge of sadness. More skinny than usual.

"Auntie! Happy New Year... God bless..."

"Boy... how have you been?"

"I'm fine... you ok?"

But at that point, my parents came into the house, so didn't get to hear her reply. Was worried for her health.

Then my uncle came in. Was momentarily surprised to see him so gaunt. And splotches here and there on his once-firm and healthy skin. He walked unsteadily as he made his way to his seat.

My mum and I noted the six or seven clock ticking away on the walls. Gadgets here and there. A modern, pristine Apple computer at the corner. Radios, VCRs and two TVs. And that was just for the living room.

"Hi! How've you been, Robert?" My uncle called to my dad.

"Fine, thanks! How's the chemo been?"

He slurred a bit weakly. "Nah... Ok, getting better... I went for an operation."

I got up and sat next to him. "Uncle, how's your health now?"

"I've got cancer."

"Oh I see... what kind?"

"The ... you know... the... pancreas."

"Pancreas? ... Isn't it a very dangerous cancer?"

"Yes, it is. Not many people survive. The mortality rate's very high. But, whatever happens, if we live or we die... it's all in God's hands."

"'If we live or we die, we belong to the Lord...'"

"Yah."

*thoughtful pause*

"So you are working now? How do you find your job?"

And we went on from there.

No comments: