Thursday, July 5, 2007

"Everyone wants to be a sheep, but nobody wants to be a shepherd."

So went Robert's quote when I met him up for dinner today. It was a very good time of fellowship, and really thank God for this dear friend and brother. We shared our hearts out on various things e.g. BGR, CG, etc. And it's very encouraging to have like-minded brothers with the same heart and passion to see God's Kingdom extended.

Anyway, this quote struck me as very meaningful, 'cos I was sharing with him about my natural preference to follow others' directions. Shepherd... hmm... is it because I say I can't, or because I really can't? But frankly, after he assessed me, think it's the first reason I'm giving. And that's not a biblical attitude to say the least.

Have been reading "Anointed for Business", which Huanyan lent me. It's very inspiring, the basic principles... realised that our vocations are a sacred calling from God, and that Jesus and almost all his apostles were in "non-religious" vocations e.g. carpenter, fishermen, tax collector, etc. And even Paul, a trained Pharisee, did his own trade as a tent-maker, together with two other fellow Christians, to support himself, and his ministry and even to help the poor too.

I'm reading the book of Acts currently, and reading that in conjunction with the "Anointed for Business" book, it's really really really very exciting to see what Christ can do through His Church in the city, the marketplace... wow! :D What the Early Church did... we are now seeing the revival of the 1st Century Church's power in the 21st Century Church... which is reaching now to the ends of the earth.

Do you know what that means? It means that these are truly the LAST of the last days - God's Spirit is being poured out like a rolling river, onto all the people of the earth, just like Peter told the crowd in Acts 2:14-18:

Then Peter stood up with the Eleven, raised his voice and addressed the crowd: "Fellow Jews and all of you who live in Jerusalem, let me explain this to you; listen carefully to what I say. These men are not drunk, as you suppose. It's only nine in the morning! No, this is what was spoken by the prophet Joel:

" 'In the last days, God says,
I will pour out my Spirit on all people.
Your sons and daughters will prophesy,
your young men will see visions,
your old men will dream dreams.
Even on my servants, both men and women,
I will pour out my Spirit in those days,
and they will prophesy..."


Revolutionary and radical - ordinary people like you and me being filled with the power of the Holy Spirit, to blaze Christ's power and glory no matter where we are right now! Amen! :D

So after taking a stock-check of the past two weeks, I think God may be showing me what is hindering me from rising up - practical steps e.g. taking more initiative...

And one very practical step I need to do is to take more initiative at home... to 'shepherd' my sister at home is one thing... she needs to be gently pushed to do some things, but I'm super-reluctant to do so, not wanting to handle the possible conflicts that will arise.

And yeah, in HopeTots too... my team leader tells me I need to be firmer with the kids. (Honestly, the kids, though they are like little lambs... sometimes behave more like hungry wolves... :P) And other areas too... though I would very much prefer to be a sheep, to simply receive... I need to arise and be a shepherd in skill too - not just in heart!

Thank God for you Robert... =)

No comments: