Thursday, July 5, 2007

Chase Wisdom!

Just to add, while I was reading my Bible today, I think God was prompting me to desire to live by wisdom. And one area that He wants to point out to me is the manner of my speech - do I speak wisely, or do I speak as a fool? Because the tongue has the power of life and death, and those who love it will eat its fruit. (Proverbs 18:21) So do I want to eat delicious apples or do I want to eat pong-pong fruit?

Proverbs 12:14
"From the fruit of his lips a man is filled with good things
as surely as the work of his hands rewards him."


Proverbs 14:3
A fool's talk brings a rod to his back,
but the lips of the wise protect them.


Proverbs 14:7
"Stay away from a foolish man,
for you will not find knowledge on his lips."


Proverbs 15:1-2
"A gentle answer turns away wrath,
but a harsh word stirs up anger.

The tongue of the wise commends knowledge,
but the mouth of the fool gushes folly."


And the list goes on...
The lips of the wise spread knowledge;
not so the hearts of fools.


A man finds joy in giving an apt reply—
and how good is a timely word!


The heart of the righteous weighs its answers,
but the mouth of the wicked gushes evil.


I do reap what I speak... these particular verses really struck me, because I've been guilty of all the negative cases that the verses mentioned...

But thank God for His correcting me. :D To love the truth, and to speak the truth in love.

And also, think I need to desire to hang out with wise people much, much more. "He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm." And to be frank, not everyone in the church is as wise as they can be. (Including me.) There are only a few people who really exercise God's wisdom (just as there are only A Few Good Men...) - so I need to seek them out and pursue them all the more eagerly, like pure gold buried deep underground.

You know, I'm thinking further... think, to be honest, within my own circle (Note: when I'm speaking about the group, I am also speaking about myself, because they really apply to me too.) of brothers and sisters, apart from the leaders, not many of us really desire wisdom very strongly. We do not have this eagerness to want to learn, to eagerly take the initiative to seek out godly men and women who are clearly more mature and wiser (and "clearly" is putting it lightly), and ask them to teach us what they know.

If even the corporate world has people who are eager to seek the more experienced advice of mentors, even though it's clearly not a friendship thing, how much more the Church, with its godly shepherds who LOVE their sheep!

Which reminds me. I've been intending to ask this very wise friend regarding some relationship advice. But I still haven't gotten around to doing so. Gah!!! Think I shall ask her over dinner next week... gotta msg her! So it's time to eagerly chase God's wisdom more and more!

No comments: