Saturday, July 7, 2007

Values

Yufen mentioned today on the train about 70% of our behaviours and actions arise from our values and experiences.

And that struck me, because just how much of my life is governed by biblical values?

In retrospect, I can see that more often than not, I lean on my own understanding, and see life in a way that I attempt to understand using my own framework and logic. But I don't want to live by worldly values anymore. I want my heart and my mind to be completely governed by God's Word.

Inspired by Jan's testimony last time how he made the decision to set his mind on God's Word and how his life was transformed because of that. And Sharon's convictions whenever she shares. And Yufen's quiet strength but deep depth of understanding. HQ too, as he joyfully lives out God's Word. And Peter's growing love and wisdom and he continues to learn more of God's Word.

And I've seen the opposite, brothers and sisters who lean on their own understandings. And how their lives are so futile, unhappy and unfruitful, and stuck in vicious cycles because their values and understandings are not based on God's Word.

Frankly, we can live our lives in many ways. But there is only one Way that actually works. The Way of Jesus Christ.

So was lying back on my bed, and thinking about this. Just where is my heart? I cried out to God to show me, because my heart really is yearning to follow Him. Like the old song goes:
I will not forget
Your love for me and yet
My heart forever is wandering
Jesus be my guide
Hold me close to Your side
Help me love You till the end...


I was feeling very confused, so I prayed and ask God to give me a word, to help me understand what exactly does He want to teach me. So some of the questions I asked Him were:

God, why is it that some Christians grow so fast and have a deep mature transformation, and others still remain the same as they are even after decades? What is the difference?

Also, what role do I have to play in my transformation? And what is Your part? I know that one can only grow so much as Your grace allows, and yet, You desire us to grow and seek You...

And a personal question too that I've been asking Him for a long time.


Eeeh. I think people have told me these answers before, yet I am still so slow to learn! Never mind, I AM slow to learn, but I want to learn anyway! :)

So, after waiting on Him, He led me to this passage: Ephesians 4:17-24, a passage that Zewei shared a long time ago during one of the sub-Ds. (31 Aug 05, I remember that date. :))

And wow! These verses somehow clear up a lot of questions in my mind... hee hee! Think I shall meditate on these verses for the next few days. And share with my shepherd too. The words in bold are the ones that are helping me understand deep

You, however, did not come to know Christ that way. Surely you heard of him and were taught in him in accordance with the truth that is in Jesus. You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.

Here's looking forward to a new depth of transformation as I meditate and chew upon His Word daily.

No comments: