Thursday, May 31, 2007

What's the SHAPE of Your Life?

My CG has been discussing this topic, in thinking how we can work towards the Sub-district vision. It's really a powerful and daring vision, involving things like planting Acts-style communities in our workplaces, and setting up ventures so that we can further the Kingdom of God... learning to be more well-informed of what goes on in the world, etc.

And one question that we were asked was this: "Within the CG, suggest how you can play a part given your unique SHAPE to contribute to the vision."

So we shared, and then HQ asked me, what's your SHAPE?

"Eh... what's SHAPE actually? I only roughly know a bit..."

"S - Spiritual Gifts
H - Heart and passion
A - Ability
P - Personality
E - Experiences in life."

So shared, and then when I reached the E part, I shared about my hearing impairment, my own struggles in relating with Chinese-speaking people, and my unique personality.

Then HQ said matter-of-factly, "Ok, so that means you can relate to people who are new and relate to different cultures."

Gee! That puts my experiences in a totally new light! Never realised that God can use my unique life experiences in such a special way. :D I mean, it's one thing to know... it's another thing to really see it with your own eyes. And all the troubles that you've experienced in the past, all whizz past your eyes and all these memories that you'd rather forget, suddenly become incredibly precious.

So that is what they mean when they say that Christ can redeem your past. Not erase your past aka Total Recall... but rather, He turns your shame into glory, sorrow into joy!

Think this new insight is very timely. :) Especially when I've been thinking about my personality that makes me very clingy and insecure at times - especially when I'm at my weakest. So I've been asking God why He gave me this personality and these unique life experiences - it's not something I'm particularly happy with.

But gee, now that I heard that statement, it gives me courage to get up and move on again, because I know that my personality and experiences are privileged to play a role in God's plan to save the world - a role that no one else in time and space can ever fulfill. Because, yes, God has given me many, many opportunities to interact with people of different cultures, and even bring them to Christ. One of them, from a communist country, even shared the gospel with his girlfriend, who upon hearing of the gospel for the first time, asked, "Really? You mean I can be forgiven of my sins?"

And my friend said, "Yes!" So she received Christ. Hee hee! Yet not I, but Christ... I'm so grateful that He chose to use me - though I am less than the least of God's people - to touch another nation, and even a potential leader-to-be in that nation... who knows how God can use this dear brother in Christ in future! Now he's discipling other Christians in his ministry... what a joy to know how God can use even someone like me!

And remembering how God used me to bless a Mexican friend, an Indonesian friend and even now a Canadian friend... I'm very encouraged again after remembering all the wondrous things that Jesus has done for me. :D

Dear friend! What of your life, your "shape", are you discontented and dissatisfied with? Do others dislike or even despise that part of you? Fear not, because that very part of your life, if you allow the Saviour to redeem that part, can become a key part in God's majestic plan to save the world. =D

So tomorrow, I'll be going for the Missions Conference. Am very excited, really praying that God will show me more clearly how He wants to use me in time to come.

Praise the Lord! :D

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

=) AMEN! YA, I'm so glad that you found meaning and conviction in this area of your life.

Missions is so so so linked to evangelism. I really think we need to put more emphasis on it and train the young ones to be missions-minded since young.

I'm interested to join the mission-support CG when I move on to adults! I hope I get to choose :) But see how ba, let God choose for me. Teehee :)