Monday, May 14, 2007

Read this article, and it made me think about today's HopeTots.

Was talking with Y about one of the boys (let's call him E). Y was telling me that E's almost Primary 1 already, but he still can't really read, and can only write his name.

Felt very burdened when I heard that, 'cos in Singapore, if you're behind in your educational knowledge when you reach Primary 1, you'll face a lot of trouble and most likely get streamed or relegated to a "lower-class" class. Which I think would really pull down E's confidence in school and totally turn him off studying altogether.

He comes from a single-parent family, and think I've mentioned before that there doesn't seem to be a strong male figure in his life. So Y suggested to me that I can play the role of a brother to E, and perhaps take time to spend some quality time with him, 'cos quality time is one of his love languages.

And I do think so too - somehow it seems that he seems hurt when he doesn't see me come around as often as he'd like to.

So Y suggested too that I can take some time to help teach him a bit how to read and write, together with maybe 1 or 2 other boys. Wow. Felt quite challenged actually when I heard that.

But thinking about it, think this could be why God has put me here in this particular time and place in this particular ministry. It does seem to be a fulfillment, a direct step toward that dream that God gave me of reaching out to children, to meet their needs.

Think it's very timely, because I felt really discouraged after such a long while in children's ministry. Really find it very challenging to be firm with the children - though I can be if needed... - and quite sian after doing what seems like the same old things again and again.

But today's sermon and what Y told me - wow, thank God, think it's a very timely word from God to tell me not to give up in this ministry that He's called me to.

1 Cor 15:58
"Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain."

aMeN!

******
And so, just really want to thank God for my own mother, who has worked hard to help bring the family up. :) Thanks mum...

No comments: