Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Being an Influencer

I was influenced by Wenjiang's constant 'nagging' that we need to be the influencer... and indeed, it sort of got stuck in my head also. Indeed, leadership is all about influence, and as a follower of Christ, we are called to be the salt and light, the head not the tail, we want to be a positive influence to the world, to influence the world away from Mr. Tan Siang Ann. And this is connected to my first reflection point, that we will need to grow in quality and quantity. We also wanna grow in our influence to the world as well. After all, as uni students, we are the one who have the most potential in influencing how our society will be shaped in the future.


This part from Huanyan's blog really reminded me of something that God really desires for us, the Church. He wants us to be THE influencer in this world. To influence people to Him. It wasn't for no reason that Eph 3:10-11 says,
"His intent was that now, through the church, the manifold wisdom of God should be made known to the rulers and authorities in the heavenly realms, according to his eternal purpose which he accomplished in Christ Jesus our Lord.


Who are the people that I can influence? I was thinking about this, when suddenly I remembered some people that I have already been influencing - e.g. my parents and my maid too. My parents have said that I'm very helpful at home (hee, I try my best... though sometimes I grumble and fail to do so).

Also, I've been praying how I can be a blessing to my new maid (she's from the Philippines, the countryside area), that God will give me the opportunity to connect with her (it's quite awkward 'cos we are in a "master-servant" relationship, literally). And God gave me a great opportunity to bless her, 'cos today, she said that she wanted to learn more English. Haha! Thank God... so we had a good time speaking English to one another.

Now, thinking about other brothers who have been great role models to me in learning how to be better influencers. E.g. Guanrui, Huanyan, Sijia, Ps Jeff, Alan Tea, Hong Teck for example. They inspire me through different ways. For instance, Guanrui and I were having lunch, when he shared with me that, back in NS, he made the decision to want to shine for Christ in the Army. So he went on to shine, and do his tasks very well, and God gave him the role of Platoon Sergeant. He used this role to share more with the BMT trainees under his care when there was opportunity, and even up to now, some of his trainees keep in touch with him. :D

Think Huanyan influences me in a different way. Think God has made him a natural leader (so Uncle, you better really max this talent for Him ok... haha), so he inspires me by showing me (and other bros and sisters) how we can be better influencers in terms of personality, skills and attitude.

Then there's Pastor Jeff. Think while his natural gregariousness plays a significant part, his heart for God is a HUGE part of what makes him very influential in influencing pple to Christ. I see it in the way he writes his blog, and more importantly, make influencing others to Christ a lifestyle! Not a task to complete, not a duty to do, but a lifestyle!

And Alan Tea's and Hong Teck's lives inspires me, in part, because we are the naturally melancholic kind of people. Whenever I feel down and think that I can't influence people for Christ because of my natural introversion, I recall their way of life and do my best to imitate their faith. Because the same Jesus Christ who uses them yesterday is the same One who will use you and me today and tomorrow!

Dear brothers and sisters! We have a task - fulfill it! You cannot? Neither can I. We have too little strength and too few riches of our own to share, but our Lord has riches, many, many riches. Therefore, it is necessary that we study our bankbook - the Bible. Withdraw everything you and others need. All God's promises are yes and amen in Christ Jesus. We have to share with many, and therefore, we need the many riches of the Lord.

You do not feel confident? Neither do I. But the Lord has promised that when He calls us to do something for Him, He will provide all the resources that we need. All He wants is a heart of faith to trust and obey Him to influence the world for Jesus. Let us not compare ourselves with the person on our left, and on our right. If we do want to compare, let us compare ourselves with the ourselves that was yesterday.

It is really exciting to see the sheer power possible when one man decides to believe and act upon the promises of the Bible, which are freely available to all who have faith in Him. Do you want to be that man or woman whom God will use? Then pray today and ask Him to give you the faith, courage and obedience to be the man or woman that He can use. It does not matter what you were yesterday, nor even what you are today. It only matters whether you want to make a decision to exercise your faith in Jesus today!

You cannot choose to stay neutral for long - it is impossible. So will you choose to be influenced by the world, or choose to influence the world to Christ today?

Matthew 4:19
"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."

No comments: