Sunday, January 7, 2007

Something that struck me today after talking with some brothers: some people, we really feel very comfortable and willing to share deeply with, even tho we only know them for a short while.

Why? Think one reason is because they have a very gentle spirit. Nothing to do with personalities - there are two dear bros - Kin Wee and Ruey Fong - both of them have very, very different personalities, but both of them have this spirit that is very gentle. You KNOW that you can trust them with your darkest secrets, and they will never reject you, but accept you. "The fruit of the Spirit is... gentleness..." (Galatians 5) and the Lord Jesus Himself said: "Come to Me, all you who are weary and burden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am GENTLE AND HUMBLE IN HEART, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and my burden is light."

I realised that gentleness is not a personality trait - it's a character trait. Think of a gentle giant. He could crush everything in his way if he wanted, but you know that he'd never do that, simply because his character is gentle.

And I realised I need to grow in gentleness. Very often, I tend to let my anger get out of control when i feel angry about something. "In your anger do not sin." (Ephesians) How true... and how often I fail to keep this command. So shall make this one of my prayer points, and New Year's resolution, to grow in gentleness, to bear this particular fruit of the Spirit.

Just a thought: What is true gentleness?

No comments: