Thursday, January 4, 2007

Of Opportunities to Change the World

Hmm... just sitting back now. Supposed to meet a friend today, but we postponed it to tomorrow instead.

Actually felt a bit scared that tomorrow, also, cannot meet due to some unforeseen circumstances. Then thought about it, and also reminded of what RF had told me yesterday during lunchtime, that God is the One who grants us opportunities, be what they may:

"I know a lot of people who have been working very hard by their own strength, but they are still struggling in their work environments after so long. That's why opportunities (in your job) are very important. In a way, you need to be the lucky one.

So that's why it is very important to walk right with God. Walk right with God, and He will walk right with you."


You know, it's not every time that someone says something, and that something impacts you down to the very core of your foundations. I think this is one of those times that happens. If there is any foundation that I could lay down for my working life, for the next 40 years, I want this to be mine: "Walk right with God, and He will walk right with you."

It strikes me as very meaningful, because I also know of many friends who faithfully work hard, but to what purpose are they labouring, being stuck in the same old position?

As one brother wrote in his blog,
cos i dun tink u can experience God much if u dun venture,have faith to step out to try new things,change yr old mindset,attitudes..guess it's linked to our breakthru campaign..i do question n think when i hear many bros n sis..they want to be counsellors..or they end up doing sales/administrative work..i dun deny dat there r some who r interested in e fields in e first place..it's their calling but e qn is: have we given much thought to seek God's purpose in all tis decision-making..it can be too comfortable of a decision to take..is there any element of faith n kingdom mentality invol? tink that is wat we r trying to do ba i guess..i do tink it is not easy for me, knowing my phlegmatic self, w'd be a tedious one n require personal commitment n faith..but w'd try anyway


The key thing here is not about personal self-advancement or self-actualization or self-internationalization or whatever - it is all about making an impact on the world.

A very memorable story that I heard was that Steve Jobs, the boss of Apple Computer, tried again and again to recruit John Scully, the vice-president of Coca-Cola, with many attractive promises, but again and again, Scully refused.

Finally, after exhausting all his options, Jobs finally said, "Do you want to sell sugared water for the rest of your life, or do you want to change the world?"

*******

So the lesson I think I've learnt from what RF shared with me is that even if we really want to make a good difference to the world, we still need opportunities to thrive and excel. And where do good opportunities come from? Well, hee, they come from God, who chooses to bless whoever He wants to choose. :) Then it's up to us to make the most of the opportunity that He has given us, for better or for worse. As Jesus once said, "Whoever makes the most of the opportunity he has will be given more, and whoever does not have, even whatever he has will be taken away from him."

Of course, I'm also thinking about the other side of the equation: if we eagerly desire to make an impact, to make this world a better place, we should eagerly ask God to give us the opportunities that we so need. Because without the opportunities that God gives, we really can't do very much. "Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labor in vain. Unless the LORD watches over the city, the watchmen stand guard in vain."

Take for instance, the story of Joseph, who became Prime Minister of Egypt (probably during Hyksos rule). Joseph worked hard and excelled in the talent of administration God gave him - even while he was a slave, and later a prisoner. He excelled so well that the warden practically handed Joseph the keys to take care of the other prisoners!

Wow... I heard also that in a certain African country, the Christian leaders who were in prison for their faith, their conduct was so exemplary that the wardens would hand them their rifles to take care of while they went to take a break! Gosh... I want to be like that too (in conduct I mean, not in prison haha... if possible of course).

And later on, after 2 or 3 years in prison, waiting and waiting, finally, Joseph was brought before Pharaoh to interpret a dream for Pharaoh, which would eventually involve Egypt's very survival. As such, God, through Pharaoh, exalted Joseph straight from the prison to become Prime Minister of all Egypt!

Then Pharaoh said to Joseph, "Since God has made all this known to you, there is no one so discerning and wise as you. You shall be in charge of my palace, and all my people are to submit to your orders. Only with respect to the throne will I be greater than you."

So Pharaoh said to Joseph, "I hereby put you in charge of the whole land of Egypt."

Then Pharaoh said to Joseph, "I am Pharaoh, but without your word no one will lift hand or foot in all Egypt."


Hee... imagine, a prisoner from Changi Prison goes on to become Prime Minister of Singapore... (ok, I'll add the disclaimer here that Joseph was innocent but was wrongly imprisoned...)

*******

But why am I thinking that advancing in the working world is integral to making an impact in the world? Or for that matter, it's not only about making an impact - it's about CHANGING the world for the better, even if it looks hopeless. (Think Mother Teresa, Billy Graham, Abraham Lincoln, etc.)

I was discussing with Peter about how to make a difference in the media industry. Something that Peter said struck me. He said that if we want to change the media industry for the better, we need to impact the big shots in the media industry. If we go for the "small-fry" e.g. the boy who brings the kopi-O for the director, seriously, just how effective can that be?

Not that I'm saying that the value of the "small-fry" people are lesser than the "big-fry". (They're just equally fried. Haha... ok bad joke. ;P More like stir-fried and deep-fried. How unhealthy!) But we're talking about changing the entire media industry for Christ!

By changing the media industry, I don't mean giving the whole world "Christian" videos to watch. Nah. I think some of the "Christian" movies are so thin on plot that even Jesus Himself wouldn't enjoy them. ;) LOL... Ok, I know He'd be very gracious... but heh, you see what I mean.

What I mean is that the media industry is being dominated by increasingly lower and lower quality movies and other shows. We want GOOD stories. We want stories that will touch our hearts and give us hope. Inspire us on towards nobler deeds. Change lives, even. Stories like Forrest Gump, Brotherhood, Rain Man... and Narnia, and Lord of the Rings... hee, I guess the fact that there are still such good movies around gives us hope! :) Not depressing, nihilistic movies like Kill Bill or Curse of the Golden Flower...

But what's wrong with a cheap story? Well, don't want to sound like a cranky old codger, but the thing is that media is to our minds what food is to our bodies. Feed the mind (too much) junk media and you get bloated unhealthy minds. Feed the mind nourishing media, and you get healthy minds.

Furthermore, I have heard stories of exploitation in the media industry. Financial exploitation and unfair treatment of media workers who have to work long painful hours. I don't know very much about this, but hope I can help make a difference here too.

*******

To be honest, I'm feeling quite apprehensive still, because I know I'm not the natural "industry" person type. Frankly, I'd rather spend time with a camera going around doing documentaries about current affairs... solo or with a friend. Guess that arises from the phlegmatic part of me, always wanting to stay within my easy comfort zone. But I can't. Not while there's a world that needs God's love. So I'll see where God leads me - even though I can't understand fully at the moment what His full plan for my life is, though He has blessed me with wonderful, wonderful opportunities to extend and develop my talents, both in and out of the church.

In fact, hee, I'm quite glad that I didn't get any scholarships that bonded me to some engineering or IT company (which I had applied for), because if I did, as I found out over the past 4.5 years, I really wouldn't enjoy these jobs very much. Programming, hah! :) After my HYP, I KNOW THAT I DON'T WANT TO DO PROGRAMMING FOR THE NEXT 40 YEARS OF MY LIFE. (Maybe 1 year can lah. At most!)

*******
Hmm. After so much writing, think just want to sum everything up in a few sentences. I need to hunger more to want to make a difference in this world, to transform people's lives for the better. And I want to do it the best way possible. But I need to remember, ultimately, God is in charge - I'm just one of His instruments that He wants to use to change the world for the better. So I need to pray to Him for opportunities to make a difference, eyes to see them, and for myself to be faithful with the opportunities that He has already given me.

Friend, God has given each and every one of us so many opportunities, no matter who we are. Opportunities to help the helpless... transform lives... reform entire industries... end wars... charter the destinies of nations, even! So won't you take the opportunity to seize life as He has given us, seize the opportunity?

As this bro wrote, "i do tink it is not easy for me, knowing my phlegmatic self, w'd be a tedious one n require personal commitment n faith..but w'd try anyway".

Amen! Because life as a child of God is not about the church only - it is about the whole wide world!

God, give me more opportunities, and help me seize them! :) In Jesus' name, amen!

So that I can share more testimonies of what You've done in my life in time to come. =D

Our Father, who art in heaven
Hallowed be Thy name.
Thy kingdom come, thy will be done
On earth as it is in heaven...

No comments: