Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Focus, conviction

Think these are two things that God's impressing on my heart - that He really wants me to desire and grow in.

Thank God so much for His goodness =) think the cloud's clearing finally. =) hee hee...

Oh God, it's so good to come back into Your arms again after so long. =) How sweet Your love, Your Word, Your presence in my life is. Feel much more renewed and refreshed.

Something I learnt from Proverbs 1 today: That God wants me to acquire a DISCIPLINED and PRUDENT life.

And this good rebuke came to me:
Prov 1:22
"How long will you simple ones love your simple ways?
How long will mockers delight in mockery,
and fools hate knowledge?"

Think God asked me to take a good look at my heart, and think about the many times I've insisted on living simple-minded ways, instead of living in the fullness of His grace and His truth.

[BTW "simple" here means one who doesn't have a sense of moral direction and is inclined to evil.]

Yup, thank God so much, need to keep this word in my heart. :)

Oh yah, focus - that's something I learnt from last year's Standard Chartered marathon, and what Yufen shared with me over a casual meetup yesterday and also what Peter told me a week ago. It's simply amazing what a person with focus can do, especially when he has God's help.

Just like a laser. One reason why a laser is so much more useful than a torchlight or even a billion-watt searchlight is that it has extreme precision, focus and purity (since it has only one wavelength). It may not be able to spread out much, but because of its sheer focus, it can be used for many, many things e.g. surgery in cutting, reading data, scanning barcodes, etc.

Isn't it like a person who is wholeheartedly pure and focused for God? He/she may not have a very wide sphere of influence, but those that he/she influences - oh boy, oh boy - what depth of influence! If you can impact one and only one person, impact that person to be a world-changer, who will go on to impact many, many, many, many, many, many, many other people!

Just like Father Abraham, father of many nations...
"By faith Abraham, even though he was past age - and Sarah herself was barren - was enabled to become a father because he considered Him faithful who had made the promise. And so from this one man, and he as good as dead, came descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and as countless as the sand on the seashore." (Hebrews 11:11-12)


Perhaps an even better example would be Jesus Christ Himself. Napoleon is attributed to have said this in humble acknowledgement of the impact of Jesus Christ:
"I die before my time and my body shall be given back to the earth and devoured by worms. What an abysmal gulf between my deep miseries and the eternal Kingdom of Christ. I marvel that whereas the ambitious dreams of myself and of Alexander and of Caesar should have vanished into thin air, a Judean peasant-Jesus-should be able to stretch his hands across the centuries, and control the destinies of men and nations."


Hmm. Praying that God'll show me where to aim and focus upon. And purity and depth of conviction, I also want...

No comments: