Monday, January 15, 2007

Some points that I learnt today

  1. Holy Living (God can use any kind of vessels - but He can't use dirty vessels),
  2. Facing Frustrations (i don't have thorns on my head, neither a spear in my side, nor wounds on my back - so what do i have to complain about? like how Peter shared abt the pain of his broken leg, he realised that it was nothing compared to Christ's excruciating pain on the cross.),
  3. Serving People (we need to help other grow before we ask them to start serving... to serve the under-served, the poor, the needy, the underclassed... hmm, personally I feel a burden for orphans and abused children in particular, feel really really really outraged whenever i read of such cases in the news... Lord, I want to be used by You here... to have a holy anger against injustice and oppression...really dunno how, but here I am, send me!) So inspired by Bono of U2 fame and Bill and Mel Gates who wisely use their foundation funds to make a difference... and countless others who do their part to make this place better - instead of just complaining about the state it is in... :P
  4. and Handling Resources so that we can successfully and effectively make the most of our lives to accomplish the above three points...


Also, how to be an encourager who helps pple grow (this was one of the points that made me tear, because really felt God's gracious affirmation and encouragement of me in this area... and also because He pointed out to me how I can grow in being a better "Barnabas"):
1. Listen to their story.
We need to DEVELOP pple before we can mobilize them... so important if we want to rally ppl to a cause... hmm... tink this is something I need to grow in more and more...


2. Look beyond their past to their potential.
When Barnabas met Saul, he saw beyond Saul's violent past - as a persecutor of Christians and one who was party to Stephen's murder... and how Barnabas discipled Saul till Saul became known as Paul the Apostle to the Gentiles... cool! :)

Hee, reminded of what Alan preached last time, that God actually thinks better of us than we think of ourselves...

3. Learn to expand their horizons.
Think God was reminding me that I need to help encourage and expand Zhiwei's horizons... this bro really has a very sweet and teachable spirit, so hee, really hope can help expand his horizons...

Reminded of how Alan discipled Zewei, to the point where Zewei wrote an essay for some very prestigious nationwide essay competition - and ZW was one of the top 50 entrants... imagine! Because Zewei's not one of the naturally arts student types or what... he's much more of the engineering types... yet he even went on to work at a high-level government workplace...

No comments: