Saturday, June 27, 2009

To Buy A Bicycle

I was deciding which bicycle to get.

  • The $150 one at Long Fa Bicycle Shop($150, after some nervous bargaining with a very grumpy uncle) with a comfy-pomfy seat and a 21-speed Shimano gearset... and bike stand optional. (Yeah, the old uncle was a hard-nosed dealer.)
  • The $115 bicycle at Bishan with a butt-numbing saddle (I suspect the saddle designer wasn't a man...), and an El Cheapo seat of gears. Spanner not included. But the uncle's quite nice.


Something that came to mind as I was considering. Am I including God's Kingdom into my calculations and consideration? Even for something as mundane as buying a bike, would I factor in how I can use this bike to extend God's Kingdom more?

'Cos was thinking about one of Hong Teck's questions in his latest blog post:
2) Are you living for things or are things living for you? Define your highest dream or calling, so that your time, talents and resources aren’t just consumed but are used for that purpose greater than yourself.
How would getting a bike be helpful for me? For me, it's simply to save time by enabling me to get to the MRT faster. Is there any way I can use this to extend God's Kingdom more? How will buying a more expensive bike help me extend God's Kingdom? Will I actually cycle as far as I think? How could the money saved by buying the cheaper bike be used to bless others?

Is there any other way of getting a bike at a lower price? (No, stealing is NOT an idea...)

Peter suggested I should get this instead...

Lovely... what a brilliant idea...

But yeah, it's really exciting to see how the Kingdom of God can be factored into every little decision I make. :D Even if it means buying a toy scooter!

No comments: