Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Of Grace and Mercy

Wow. Thank God. I was praying together with Shawn just now over our CG prayer points (to prepare our hearts for the upcoming church camp), when I recalled a particular sin I'd committed against Shawn and other people. Think perhaps it was the Holy Spirit who reminded me about this particular sin, as Shawn was praying for me. About my losing my temper, and being unappreciative and un-understanding of the good that others try to do for me.

So after Shawn had finished praying for me, I told him about this particular sin and asked for his forgiveness. Like a confession. Actually it IS a confession. :)

Hee, thank God for Shawn. He forgave me, and also prayed together with me to help me grow and breakthrough in this area. Was very touched. =) And he shared with me, "We bear with one another." AMEN! Anyway, Shawn prayed James 1:19-20 for me. It's a joy to have a younger Christian praying for and over you, with the authority of the Word... because ultimately, it's not about who's more "spiritually older/mature", but rather, both of us sinners submitting to and embracing the authority of the Word of God over our own lives. And what a joy it is to see this dear bro Shawn purposefully using the Word of God to pray for me and over my life. Hallelujah!

And also very delighted, because I see James 5:16 coming to life in our lives, in this CG, even as we pray together.
Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective
And what a delight it is to kneel down and submit to the authority of the Word of God, especially when a younger Christian reminds me of what the Bible says. I am delighted, not so much because I'm being corrected... (to be honest, it's humbling lah... hahaha...), but because the younger Christian is learning to use the Bible, and not some man-made position/role, to be the Prime Directive of our lives.

Because, ultimately, true godliness is not taking on the "roles" or "positions" that one does. These roles and positions are meaningful and very important, but they spring out of our true spiritual character and growth in Christ.

Rather, it's about joyfully submitting to the authority of God's Word, even when it comes down on you.
"Your rod and your staff, they comfort me."
I think it's very sweet to be able to kneel down and submit, because... somehow, my heart is at peace when I have the Shepherd's rod on my back and His staff on my side. Because... if His rod is on my back and His staff by my side, it means that the Lord is really near me. And the severest discipline of God is far more merciful than man's tenderest mercies.
2 Samuel 24:14
David said to Gad, "I am in deep distress. Let us fall into the hands of the LORD, for his mercy is great; but do not let me fall into the hands of men."

1 Chronicles 21:13
David said to Gad, "I am in deep distress. Let me fall into the hands of the LORD, for his mercy is very great; but do not let me fall into the hands of men."

No comments: