Saturday, June 27, 2009

Time To Live!


From Hong Teck's latest blog post:
Michael Jackson lived up to 50. Hmm, I may only have over 10 more years
Farrah Fawcett lived up to 62…. ahhh maybe I get another 12 more years after that.
But Anthony Yeo died at 60, so perhaps I have 2 years lesser.

As I think upon these people and the legacy they leave behind, I realise our time is short and the choices we make within these short time, determines how we live. It isn’t about how long we live but whether if we have decided and then started to live.

When God gave us the Great Commission, he gave us the greatest mission and the highest dream or venture possible. It is at a scale greater than Bill Gates or Steve Jobs, celebrities, kings and presidents or any world changers in that matter. So as God’s chosen ones, we are to set our heart on the highest dream that God has placed in us and then spend the rest of our time whether it is 10 or 20 or 40 years to live it out. It’s scary but that’s what ‘purpose’ is all about, to scare us into not waiting for life to happen but to make life happen.

Time, resources and talent has already been given and for us to take. Let’s not waste it.
Amen, brother! Preach it again...

Yup, let's spur one another on to living our best for Jesus, wherever we are, whether we're flipping food in a fast-food restaurant, or whether we're starting our own business, or courting, or serving in church, or studying God's Word in order to know Him more, so that we can help others know Him more.

Personally, I think we disciples have a tendency to become distracted by our own pet preferences and theological topics. We then forget the basic commandments: "Love God with all that's in you and all that you have, love your neighbour as yourself... and love one another as Christ has loved us." It is possible to become so distracted by our own ideals, that we forget the whole counsel of God's Word. Then we attempt to squeeze His Word into our favourite ideologies. I think cannot, lah.

I think we gotta go back to the heart of the Great Commission. I think we gotta build up strong and biblical disciples who love God and put Him first in everything they do. Where Christ's love is the Prime Directive in all they say and do. Where people blaze in faith and with fire, by the power of the Holy Spirit. I think we gotta start rolling now!

I think we gotta start innovating on how to bless the poor. How to make the gospel more clear, to the media-clouded minds of people today. How to bless others more in Jesus' name. How to overcome the hate, prejudice and violence that is so real in the world today. How to fight bigotry, racism, injustice with the Body of Christ - the Church. How to live Christ in this world.

I think we'd better not waste time on endless pontification and criticisms of this and that... or in meaningless dissipation...

But I think we gotta prepare our minds for action, set our hope fully on Jesus Christ and roll up our sleeves. I think we gotta get our hearts, minds and hands ready to love God and serve others in Jesus' name. I think we gotta start making the conscious decision and commitment to be united in the faith, contending as one man for the sake of the Gospel.

I think we gotta get ready to die to ourselves, so that we can really start to live! :D

I think it's Time To LIVE!

No comments: