Thursday, June 4, 2009

I went for a poetry talk with Denise and bumped into Betsy there. We got to meet a published Singapore poet some more! So cool. :)

Actually, to be honest, I couldn't hear the speaker reciting her poems very well. So haha the poetry talk wasn't too exciting for me. Half the time was leaning forward, trying to catch what she was saying.

But! it was a very fun time, getting to know other like-minded people. Got this 'ang-moh', Kevin - he's from California, who's teaching English at Buddhist College of Singapore (yeah, first time I've heard of BCS). And this Indian lady (I think), with a cool French name: Bernadette, from a Catholic family.

Anyway, was struck by how multi-cultural the group was. Haha.

And we went to a nearby kopitiam. Kevin treated Denise and I to roti prata (kosong). Nice!

They've invited me to drop by for their own writer's group: The Writers' Connect.

Haha... perhaps can go take a look... what they do there is discuss the more technical aspects of poetry and lit and what else.

Oh yah. Got to meet Lawrence and his wife (I think) there too. They're aspiring drama scriptwriters. Nice! Also from Riverlife Church. I remember Ps Vincent, a friend of Ps Ben, from there came to our church (Hope) to preach in a few sermons.

Hmm. I'm wondering about this Writer's Circle that was started. Think it's good to take a stockcheck after every event. Yup, we've people with passion, but it's very esoteric, this poetry thingy. In a way, it does lack focus of sorts. I thought of it as an 'incubator' to help like-minded brothers and sisters gather to discuss and just delight in literature, and writing and what not.

About the idea of getting the group to go for writing competitions. Good idea! Just that... somehow there needs to be more camaderie.

Still, I have this thought / feeling that perhaps now it might be time to shift to the next gear - open it up as a 'seed' ministry. 'Cos as one brother advised, we can get additional resources from the church and so on.

Think I'll sit on it and pray about it... see what God has in mind. And confer with Kin Wee and a few other brothers too.

Gee. I think maybe I think too far ahead haha. Seeing the big picture in mind. But need help with the details. LOL.

No comments: