Friday, January 16, 2009

Respect for God

I was reflecting about a book that I borrowed from the church library. I accidentally damaged it, but it was entirely my fault - I didn't take extra care of it. :(

And thinking about it, think this incident shows a certain attitude of mine towards God. This book is dedicated and consecrated to God - it specially belongs to the church, and is holy, set apart for use. And I went and damaged it through sheer carelessness.

Then I remember how Uzzah irreverently mishandled the Ark of the Covenant, which in turn wasn't being transported according to the Lord's specifications. He meant well, but the consequences were still fatal all the same. Like how you handle a nuclear bomb - you treat it with the utmost care, or you're dead, even if you're very sincere in your mistake.

So reflecting on my heart's attitude... how much do I actually revere and fear the Lord? He is a holy, holy, holy God, and in Him is absolutely no sin. Do I love the Lord AND fear Him too? Have I taken the choice grace of God for granted.

Yah, I think I did so... OMG. It's only by His sheer kindness and mercy that I'm not dead, for being so irreverent towards him. I need to show more respect towards the King of Kings and the Lord of Lords.

And that makes me think further. How about quiet time? How about my work? Time and money? How about my attitude towards others? How about the words I say and use? And so on. Holiness. How I need to desire it, and work towards it. "Be ye holy, because I am holy," that is what the Lord himself has said.

I don't want to take the love and grace of my Saviour for granted again. Forgive me, Pa. Help me, teach me, correct me and train me in all righteousness, so that I can be made useful for You. In Jesus' most holy name, amen.

No comments: