Friday, January 30, 2009

Let's Barely Thrive! (Breakthrough, not Breakdown)

Hong Teck messaged some of us this SMS this morning:
Don't be 'barely surviving'. 'Barely thriving' is a better state. We allow situations to bring us to the brink of breakdown. Instead, it is wise to intentionally place ourselves in the verge of breakthrough. We should also be in a place that we are not there yet, but 'anytime now'.
And I think it came so timely. 'Cos I was writing to a dear friend just before I got Hong Teck's SMS:
Gosh! [I have] a lot of ambitious plans for God this year. But I don't want to be so caught up with doing things that I forget Him. And yet... maybe it's His fire in me that inspires me to get off my lazy bum and start living a life worthy of His calling.

And a thought just struck me. I said my plans are ambitious. But... are they really ambitious? I'm reminded of what Jesus said, that when we have done all we are supposed to do, we should simply say, "We are unworthy servants; we have only done our duty."

Gosh. I'm still doing less than my duties actually. At the least, I should discharge all my duties, like Paul exhorted Timothy. Sobering thought, that we dream so big (or at least we would like to think so), and it turns out that all along it's what God simply assigned us to do.

Am I making sense here? Haha...
And my friend's reply was thought-provoking:
I have the exact same thoughts. We should do what God assigned us and gifted us to do, not more, not less. I guess people who do big things didn't set out wanting to do a big thing, but it was simply what they felt in their hearts that they wanted to do. Then again, big or small is not for us to judge, and is not important. Let's be faithful with our call.
Aye-men. :) I'm not sure if you can see the link between Hong Teck's SMS and my email, but, well, to me, they're very strongly related.

Maybe I can summarise it as:
"We're not there yet now, but let's get there anyhow, 'cos we'll get there somehow."

No comments: