Monday, January 19, 2009

How Do You Speak to Me?

Lord, was it the wind that carried Your words
Like ethereal leaves whirling 'round upon the air?
Or was it your touch, light as the essence of sunshine
Bold as a moonless night, that You show Your care?

Your gentle whisper every time,
now here now there

Like the wind that comes and go, we know not from where
Yet I hear Your still small voice, now here now there
So that my soul may know that You do know and care.


Dear Lord, I remember that Ps Jeff yesterday shared that You speak to each one of Your children in a different way. And I was wondering how You speak to me.

And it seems that when You speak to me, most often it is through a soft, gentle yet persistent whisper. And it brings tears to my eyes, because it's so like You - humble and gentle in heart.

You know my personality, You know how sensitive and frail I am when it comes to a harsh rebuke, and You know my lack of strength here.

For some people, You speak tough to them, because You know that they need this kind of voice - the nuclear voice that shatters ten thousand cedars, and devastates forests into desolate moonscapes.

But yet it is the soft, still whisper that You choose to use on me, faithfully calling me to You.

And You speak to me so gently, Father, that I'm ashamed of myself. That the King of all the earth would choose to stoop down and whisper into the ears of my deaf heart. I have so much to learn from Your humble and gentle heart, oh great Shepherd of my soul. I am crude and rude, but You are meek and gentle. "A bruised reed he will not break, and a smoldering wick he will not snuff out..."
I tremble at Thy mercy so unthinkable that I must bow down and weep
I shudder at Thy grace so unimaginable that even the angels dare not peek
And yet, to Thy throne of unapproachable light will I humbly crawl
Behold Thy beautiful nail-scarred feet and kiss them in wondrous awe.

No comments: