Thursday, January 29, 2009

Nothing Less Than Total, Abandoned, Absolute, Unconditional Surrender

Read Huanyan's latest article: "Is there not a cost?"
And I'm so with him on this.
When someone stands up and say 'let's go and build something', someone will stand up and say 'let's go and destroy'.

Christian life is not a rosy one, especially for those who want to serve God with one whole steadfast heart, with one that refuses to compromise with God's values and standards. The world will definitely at some time stand up and obstruct our effort. I cannot fathom but think about this, that I can identify with that, despite the environment that I encounter. What else would that missionaries in other countries, the closed countries, be encountering?

Is there not a cost? There is a cost. Seeing the people who served their hearts out over the centuries makes me wonder what the modern world has done to the believers on the road. No offence but really, is studies, career and BGR all there is to life? What is God's burden? Come on, tell me what is God's burden? I tell you, the answer is in the youtube video I posted earlier. I can only think of the time when Jesus said that He came not for the righteous but the sick.

I guess the idealist side of me refuses to accept that the Christian life is called to be a stable, happy and well-balanced life. To paraphrase someone, "You can't be considered very well-adjusted and balanced by a world that leaves you nailed naked on a cross."

And then, I was thinking about us guys going off to play computer games after church service. And of course, I enjoy games a lot. But there is still this twinge of dissatisfaction in my heart that we are not giving our utmost to our God. Perhaps we could be pouring more time, money and effort into more sharing, more Bible studies and so on? Activities are nice... but God's Word is ultimately the foundation and cement that holds us men together.

Ultimately, when it comes to building relationships... only the bedrock of Christ and His Word are safe, strong and sure enough to bond very disparate personalities together. After all, weren't Jesus' 12 disciples very different men too?

I need to hurry up with establishing the men's ministry on my side, together with Peter. Time's not exactly on our side... but God is! :)

Radical? I think so. Zealous? I reckon so... Fanatic? Maybe! After all, the cross says that God is crazy enough to come down and die for us... and the resurrection shows that all this Christianity business actually has something to it.

Even the lazy, ill-disciplined phlegmatic in me says that this life is not enough for a great God. I may not be able to do many big things in the eyes of the world, but I just want to do God's things God's way.

And I think that's more than enough for a lifetime.
Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last.

No comments: