Thursday, September 30, 2010

Simple Magnamity

Now sitting in McDonalds. Celebrated the official end of my attachment with a Double McSpicy. =) Why? I think it's spurred by this thought that I had, that we can just celebrate God's goodness to us. And also Hong Teck's encouragement last time, when I was feeling stressed by the need to rush... to find a time to just take some time off and celebrate.

And as I thought about it, suddenly the song "Come On and Celebrate" came to mind.
Come on and celebrate
His gift of love, We will celebrate
The Son of God who loved us
And gave us life.

We’ll shout Your praises, O King,
You give us joy nothing else can bring,
We’ll give to You our offering
In celebration praise

Come on and celebrate, celebrate
Celebrate and sing;
Celebrate and sing to the King

Come on and celebrate, celebrate
Celebrate and sing;
Celebrate and sing to the King

It was such a sweet and simple song. And for just a slight moment, my winter lifted and spring came into my steps. I really felt like skipping. But well, guys usually don't skip. =) So I just settled for a sprightly spring in my steps as I stepped down the escalator. =)

Which brings to my mind simple-hearted gratitude. Are we thankful? Simplicity of heart means contentment of the soul. For that little moment in time, I renewed my thanksgiving to my dear heavenly Father, that I really just let go of whatever I desire and hold dear into His caring hands. And to just celebrate His gift of love.

Did you ever give someone a gift that you took a lot of time and effort to get and make, and when you gave it to the recipient, the person looked at it and the first words that he/she said were: "Wah, so heaty / so simple / so cheap / etc!"

Now compare it to another person who takes your gift / help / etc, and without any strings or conditions, gratefully accepts what you have. It's such a joy to see that person really appreciate what you have given to him/her, even though your gift is small. Because the person saw beyond the gift to the heart behind the gift.

That's something Peter taught and reminded me. In relationships, to always find something to genuinely appreciate in the other person. If the person is late, but took a cab to rush down, appreciate that. If the person tried to encourage you sincerely, but his well-intentioned encouragement fell flat or even worse, made you feel worse - appreciate the heart behind the well-meant encouragement. (I think it's ok to let the other person know that though you might not really find the encouragement itself very good, you do feel encouraged by the heart of the other person that he/she cares enough to encourage you in the first place as best as he/she knew how.)

I guess the whole point of what I'm reflecting is that ultimately, it's about being truly grateful. Grateful as in an unconditional, no-strings attached, genuine appreciation of what you have freely received. Like how Jesus appreciated the seeking heart of a short tax-collector, the faith of a desperate mother, the faith of an occupying Roman officer, the tears of a sinful woman... He genuinely appreciated and affirmed these people. Not just that... I noticed in the Bible that He would freely tell those who came to Him for healing and went away healed: "Your faith has healed you. (emphasis mine)"

And He told us that He will never forget the tiniest things that we do unto the least of His people. He will never forget. He will never ever forget. :')

Man. Surely this Jesus is the Son of God.

I wonder how many conditions do I set for God to meet before I will appreciate and celebrate His gift of love.

I wonder how many conditions and expectations do I consciously / unconsciously impose on others before I will appreciate and rejoice over others.

Do I make it easy and even enjoyable for others to bless me?

Do I make it easy and even enjoyable for God Himself to bless me?

Sometimes we get so sophisticated that we forget to just thank God. :)

Max Lucado wrote a beautiful story about a beggar boy he met. The beggar boy asked Lucado for some bread. Lucado did. The beggar boy took the bread... but before he ate, he looked up at Lucado with bright eyes and said gratefully: "Thank you, Sir." Lucado wrote then that he wanted to buy up all the bread in the shop to give it to that little boy on the spot.

=)

Personally, I think about the service people we meet at the counter. The fruit-seller auntie. The kopitiam uncle. The guy who cleans the table. How often do we pause what we're doing and really say thank you to them personally? I know Weizhu sets a marvellous example for me in this everytime we eat together. And... hee, in my own workplace, there's a small fruit stall where I frequent. You know, I do my best to thank Auntie everytime she returns me the change. And I think she notices and appreciates it a lot. =)

How about you? How can you simplify your heart such that even a cup of cold water will bring a sweet, simple smile to your heart - and your face?

=)

No comments: