Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Yes, Looks Do Matter


I was reading this article, and unfortunately, yes, it is true. People do really look at the appearances and mannerisms. And... fact is, I think almost everyone, including me, tend to look more favourably to people who look good. You just can't escape that fact.

In fact, a fellow Christian commented that if you want to impact more people, you need to look good, or at the least, presentable. (If I remember that correctly.)

Even less attractive people are naturally drawn to more attractive people. And the cycle can be vicious. Less attractive people are inevitably less popular. And the less popular they are, often, the less positive and confident they feel about themselves. And the less confident they feel about themselves, the less attractive they become!

Where, then, is the hope for less attractive people like you and me? ;)

I'm reminded of Isaiah 53. Jesus was described as:
"He had no beauty or majesty, nothing in His appearance, that we should desire Him. He was despised and rejected by men, a man of sorrows and familiar with suffering. Like one from whom men hide their faces, He was despised and we esteemed Him not."
Make no doubt about it. Probably all the good-looking depictions of Jesus you saw in the movies... were probably more reel than real. Probably he looked so plain and perhaps even unattractive, that John the Baptist, his own cousin, testified:
"I saw the Spirit come down from heaven as a dove and remain on him. I would not have known him, except that the one who sent me to baptize with water told me, 'The man on whom you see the Spirit come down and remain is he who will baptize with the Holy Spirit.'"


But I think about it... there is something else too. God can and does transform our physical appearances too. Like how Daniel and his three friends looked healthier and better nourished than their peers.

I realised that perhaps, unlike the world, we shouldn't be so focused on our outwards appearances that we begin to rely on them for job security, for career advancement, for getting that life-partner, for making friends and so on. The world thinks that way.

But what does Jesus tell us? "For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be given to you."

Instead, we should focus on building up our inner selves. Our character, our godliness, our gentleness - the unfading beauty of a quiet and gentle spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.

And if you look ok, but you don't have much personality? Or can't tell a joke to save your life? Or don't have much talent - the only talents you have are eating and sleeping?

Does it really matter to God? Would you let that drag you down?

What if you had no hands or legs? Nor eyes nor ears? Slow of speech and stumbling in tongue?

It'd only be natural to be depressed and feel defeated - angry and bitter with God even, or at the least, disappointed. Comparing, and contrasting.

No. What you need to do first and foremost is to seek the unfading beauty of a Christlike heart. To seek nothing less than the very beauty of Christ.
"In the beauty of the lilies
Christ was born across the sea
With a glory in His bosom
That transfigures you and me
As He died to make men holy
Let us live to make men free..."
For when your inner self is truly beautiful, then... the inner beauty spills, flows and cascades into your outer self. That beauty that shines from within spills out from tender eyes, kind lips, caring hands, diligent legs... what beauty can compare to this?

Personally, I've seen some sisters who came in as non-Christians. They were already quite nice-looking when they first came in... but after growing in Christ, wow oh wow, their very appearances begin to reflect the beauty of their Lord and Saviour. And of course, even the brothers too. :) But I think I should leave it to the sisters to say more...

For it is the beauty of the risen Christ, the radiant dawn of the Son of Righteousness leaping forth from a joyful heart.
"Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised."
Truth be told, I'm not writing this for any sister in particular, but I'm writing this to encourage myself to focus on God, for often I tend to compare myself with others, and wish that I was more like this, more like that, more outspoken, more eloquent, more humorous, more this and that. Don't we all feel like that at least once in our lifetimes? :)

But God steps in and reminds us - "Why not seek to be right with me on the inside? First wash the inside of the cup, then the outside will be clean too." :)

God knows that we do appreciate good looks. It's inevitable. Perhaps we're wired that way. But I'm sure that God wants us to be right in heart with Him first and foremost. "Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart."

So, let's not focus so much on cultivating the right external appearances and behaviours that we forget to cultivate a right heart with God.

For when we become beautiful on the inside, somehow, the Lord begins to transform our physical appearances... as a demo of the new bodies that we will fully have in heaven.

For when we decide to wish for Jesus alone, we end up wishing for everything. =)

I could wish you joy and peace
To last a whole life long,
I could wish you sunshine,
Or a cheerful little song,
Or wish you all the happiness
That this life could bring

But I wish you Jesus,
But I wish you Jesus,
But I wish you Jesus,
More than anything.

I could wish you leaves of gold,
And may your path be smooth,
I could wish you treasures,
Or that all your dreams come true,
And I could wish you paradise,
That ev'ry day be spring,

But I wish you Jesus,
But I wish you Jesus,
But I wish you Jesus,
Cause when I wish you Jesus,
I've wished you ev'rything.

No comments: