Wednesday, April 8, 2009

How Big Is My Perspective?

I was thinking about what Peter shared with me on Sunday. And the meet-up with Ziyong yesterday. And just a general burden overall. And I think God is also showing me something new that I need to open my eyes big-big.

I realised that all so often, my viewpoint is so narrow. I only see my little problem here on the ground. But is my heart big enough to see this entire planet as He sees it? If not, then at least about this church? This city?

God has telescopic vision. He sees the entire world, stars and galaxies... and He can also see a little sparrow fallen to the ground and care. He sees vast kings, presidents, generals and nations moving to and fro, and He sees a little child in prayer to seek Him.

He sees the big, and He sees the small. He sees the rich people of the world in their filthy splendour, and laughs at them, declaring, "Heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool." And He sees the poverty of the world in their shame, and He stoops down to lift them up from their mud-heaps.

SIGH.

I know I don't see as God sees. I'm too narrow-minded and self-centred. Too selfish and self-absorbed. But surely... what can I do, Lord?

And immediately, I'm reminded: Ask God to take you to the mountain-top to see the world together with Him.

See as JESUS sees.

Yup. Open my eyes again Lord! My eyes are squeezed tight with selfishness, but I don't want to be!

Edited to add:
Oops, realised that I wrote "filthy splendor"... think it'll be misunderstood! :P I'm not saying that all rich people are, you know, like that. There's godly rich people too. It's just that when I wrote what I wrote, I was thinking about the rich people who abuse their power and ignore the needs of the poor... so I used the term 'filthy splendor' as a poetic device.

In any case, yes, the psalmist wrote that God stoops down to lift up the head of the poor. And the apostle Paul mentioned in one of his letters that we should help the poor.

Ultimately that's the heart attitude that counts...

'Cos I write this as a more well-off guy... I came from a more well-to-do family. But I guess it's seeing the plight of the poor... that has melted my heart and made me increasingly more eager to give and bless over the years.

I think I do want to be rich - rich with eternal treasures in heaven. Jesus challenged us:
"Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom. 33Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will not be exhausted, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys. 34For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
I think the heart behind all this is not that I might be deprived, while the other get richer, but it's about everyone having something to eat and so on. Caring for one another.

No comments: