Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Life Without Limbs :: Nick Vujicic



Wow. Thank God so much for this dear brother in Christ.

The part at 2:20 onwards was especially touching.

As Nick lay down on the table, armless and legless, he asked the audience:
So what do you do when you fall down? ... There are some times in life we fall down, we feel like we don't have the strength to get back up. Do you think you have hope? If I could tell you I'm down here, face down, and I have no arms and no legs, it should be impossible for me to get back up - but it's not.

You see, I would try 100 times to get up, and if I fail 100 times, if I fail and I give up, do you think I'm never going to get up? NO! But if I fail... I try again, and again, and again.

I just want you to know that it's not the end. It matters how you're going to finish, and you're going to finish strong.

And you will find the strength to get back up.
And then he struggled, and struggled to get himself up again. Oh my gosh. He really humbled himself in front of the entire audience, looking so helpless, squirming and straining... that when he finally managed to get himself up again, there wasn't a single dry eye in the audience.

And mine too.


Personally, what encouraged me even more was that Nick also shared his own bitterness with God, and his own depression and sense of failure. He even begged God to grow him arms and legs.

Here's the Wikipedia entry:
Being bullied at his school, Nick grew extremely depressed, and by the age of eight, started contemplating suicide[3]. After begging God to grow arms and legs, Nick eventually began to realize that his accomplishments were inspirational to many, and began to thank God he was alive. A key turning point in his life was when his mother showed him a newspaper article about a man dealing with severe disability. This led him to realize he wasn't the only one with major struggles[4]. When he was seventeen, he started to give talks at his prayer group[5], and eventually started his non-profit organization, Life Without Limbs.[6]
Hee. Thank God.

This post is so timely, as always. Because I was having my quiet time, and I was earlier sharing with God how unable I felt. Sort of like a 'zero personality', more of being a 'wallflower', not being respected or looked up to, even lacking in the character department and just being so small.

But God quickly spoke to me through the Bible passages that I read. Wow!

I know that I can speak and write very well. It's just that I struggle a lot of times with fear of failure, a constant sense of inferiority and unworthiness and so on, etc. But God giving me wisdom, courage and power, I shall deliberately exercise these talents He has given me, to serve others in love and truth.

I really must. Because God really thinks so much better of me than I think myself. YA, remember the prophecies that were spoken over you!

Yup! :)

Actually I'm really encouraged. I was reading 1 & 2 Timothy and Titus just now, and somehow God impressed on my heart that He is currently teaching and training me, before sending me out. It IS tough, to be sure, but this is something like a spiritual 'boot camp'. But because of that encouragement and clear, direct words of instructions, I sense He is working very specifically in my life. Gosh! Today is a beautiful day. :D

And somehow, there is an increasing gnawing hunger in my heart to grow in righteousness. I just feel an increasingly sharper holy discontent in my heart. And I recognize this as one of the Lord's Beatitudes: "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled."

Hee.

Oh! I was looking through one of the points in the prophecies from last year, and wow, it does confirm what I am making sense of so far:
God will train and equip you. Keep close to God
All right! =D Haha... So gogogo in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit!!! Amen!

No comments: