Monday, November 3, 2008

Lewis Hamilton was crowned the youngest F1 World Champion early this morning. He won it beating Philippe Massa by just 1 point in the last turn of the last lap.

Last year he lost the world championship to Kimi Raikonnen by 1 point.

How much does 1 point make? Without doubt, plenty.

Go out there and get that ‘one’ point in everything that we do for the Lord. But don’t do it by demanding it or fighting others for it. Do it by the value you add to yourself in goodness and service. When you become a champion, it would not have been because of luck but because of you saw the value and work hard to gain that extra one or two points.


Wow. This is a very timely post that I read on Hong Teck's blog (yet again). Today, I went for the combined Worship and Arts Ministry + Team Ministry meeting. And as I went up to Nexus, I prayed, "God, please speak to me in the meeting. Speak, Lord, for your servant is listening."

And wow, the Lord really was there among us. (But of course... as He already promised, having said that where two or three gather in His name, there He is with us!)

As they were giving out the awards and affirmations, I felt a stirring again in my heart. I wondered what put that stirring there. Was it the desire to be recognized? Affirmed by people? Or, was it a spark of holy discontent that spurred me on to imitate these wonderful servants of God as they imitated Christ's example of servanthood?

Examining my own conscience, I think it really is a God-prompted desire to have a spirit of excellence. Prayed a prayer, asking God to purify my motives and desires... but yes, witnessing the life examples of these servants of Christ, I too am motivated and spurred on to give my utmost for His Highest, especially in serving Him.

Then Pastor Lawrence came onto the stage. One thing that he shared caught my attention. He said:
"The greatest legacy that we can leave in the church (besides bringing others to Christ) is how we enable others to start serving God."
That quote by him made me realise something very important. I was thinking how I could be the greatest servant... but I think God wanted to correct me, telling me that it's not really about what I can do, but rather, whether I have helped others to start serving Him too that is, in a way, more important. Have I helped other Christians experience the joy of learning to serve God by serving His people? And the joy of becoming more like Christ Jesus, kneeling down together with Him in utmost humility to tend to the needs of others?

Because I really cannot shortchange my Lord Jesus - He laid aside His majesty, and gave up everything for me. Such love like this... OMG. I must stop shortchanging my Saviour! Such love like this... I laid my feet on other people's backs, but Jesus Christ knelt down to wash my feet! The Humble God - what is love but Him descended as a man?

Of course, I must also do my best to serve God - but let's not stay there, good though it is. Let's aim to shine so brightly for Jesus in our spheres of influence, that others too may be encouraged and inspired to want to serve God likewise.

I can think of many wonderful people whom I see in ministry... they have inspired me in one way or another. It wasn't the role that inspired me... it was their joyful and generous and humble and sweet spirits that really brought joy to me, and to many others around them. And I am absolutely certain that God is very, very, very pleased with their fragrant offerings and sacrifices - a pleasing aroma that rises up to heaven. :)

That is their greatest legacy as servants of Christ. AND I WANT THAT TOO! I want to grow more and more Christlike...
I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, and so, somehow, to attain to the resurrection from the dead.
Philippians 3:10-11


Ah. I'm still so so so far from being a good servant of Christ. Still very lazy and inwards-looking. But the next few verses of Philippians 3 encourage me greatly:
Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

All of us who are mature should take such a view of things. And if on some point you think differently, that too God will make clear to you. Only let us live up to what we have already attained.
Ah. The little things. Dear Lord, it's never easy to be faithful with the little things, but increase the strength of my hands even as I work with them! In Jesus' name amen!

No comments: