Friday, November 21, 2008

Daring To Dream

"The SOLD Project is a grassroots organization dedicated to inspiring and empowering individuals to stop child prostitution before it begins."

So goes the blog. And I was so, so terribly inspired by Drew Persons' words:
A couple of months ago, a representative from Rotary International approached us with an invitation to participate in their UN Youth Day, held in New York City at the United Nations building. This annual event was created to inspire high school students to make positive changes in the world by connecting them with proactive organizations (like SOLD) that they can partner with and support.

I flew to New York earlier on this month and made a presentation about SOLD's education scholarship program on November 8th to an audience of 700 people. After I spoke, I was approached by many young people in the metropolitan area, all of whom were interested in joining The SOLD Project.

Overall, the trip was a huge success. Being invited to talk about ANYTHING at the United Nations when your non profit has only been around for a year is pretty incredible.

On a more personal note, the trip was significant for me because my #1 life goal, my loftiest dream, the most unreachable and unlikely honor I could think of, was to speak at the UN. It encapsulates everything that I stand for in terms of foreign diplomacy and effectively making changes. I still can not believe that SOLD made it possible.

So don't EVER tell yourself that the #1 thing on your "things to do before you die" list is unattainable . I crossed mine off on the evening of September 8th and I'm only 22.

Hong Teck's camp about dreaming big for God comes back to mind again. And I know a dear friend who shared with me her dream to work at the United Nations one day, and she's started taking the first step towards that by learning French. And there's this bro who wants to be a writer for God. He's just finished a 90-pages novella in his free time. And another dear sister who did a project to raise funds for less-privileged children in China this year.
The problem is not that we think our dreams are too big for God.
The problem is that we think our God is too small for our dreams.

What are you dreaming for God today?

No comments: