Friday, July 25, 2008

Kenya Missions Trip: Breaking the News

"Hey bro sis, Thanks for ur prayers regarding my telling my parents about e upcoming trip. As expected, my mum and dad were v worried, but I believe God softened their hearts - n 2 my surprise, He filled my heart w joy 2 see how much they care for me :). Still, pls pray 4 God's assurance 2b w them. Tks!"


I just sent out this SMS to some prayer partners. 'Cos in going to Africa for the missions trip, I knew my parents, especially my mum, would be so worried for me. To be honest, was still feeling quite worried and a bit scared of their potential reactions.

But thank God again. :) While fasting and praying before lunch yesterday, this verse from Psalm 3 spoke to me:
4 To the LORD I cry aloud,
and he answers me from his holy hill.
Selah
5 I lie down and sleep;
I wake again, because the LORD sustains me.
6 I will not fear the tens of thousands
drawn up against me on every side.

And God reminded me not to be afraid of what my parents might say or how they say it. I was worried that they might be scolding me the entire night for going on the trip... but God is faithful. :)

Anyway, my parents asked me one question that struck me: "Why do you want to go on this trip to Africa?"

The "why" part struck me. Not that I have to answer it directly on the spot, or even give an answer, but it helps me think more clearly on what is the purpose of my missions trip to Kenya.

Why am I going on this trip? Is it because it's the right thing to do? Is it because I want to share the gospel with the people there? Is it because I want to see for myself what Africa is like? Is it because of other people's testimonies?

All these are good in themselves, but I think I need to know what is God's purpose for allowing me to go there. And whether He wants me to go there. From seeing how He's opened the doors so far for me to go on the missions trip to Kenya, I think He DOES want me to go.

But why Kenya? I don't know, to be honest. Why Africa? Again, I don't know.

I only know one thing - which God impressed on my heart many years ago: Wherever God calls me to go, I'll go.

Like Father Abraham 4000 years ago, with God's grace and help, I'll be willing to leave my country, my people and my father's household and go to the land He will show me.
Genesis 12:1-3
The LORD had said to Abram, "Leave your country, your people and your father's household and go to the land I will show you.
"I will make you into a great nation
and I will bless you;
I will make your name great,
and you will be a blessing.

I will bless those who bless you,
and whoever curses you I will curse;
and all peoples on earth
will be blessed through you.
"

No comments: